Character concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys. Thanks for all the feedback!

Plog was correct about the staff. As a hiker, I use a walking stick all the time. Not only to balance myself but to also poke brush as I walk to make sure I don't step on rattle snakes. The staff isn't a weapon, but a practical tool.

The people on the ground in this planet aren't immediately equipped to fight plants, or haven't planned for it. They have to make do with what they have. They might come up with a way to make a flame thrower, but it's not something they planned for. Their appearance will change during the course of their journey as they adapt to where they are. Including minor things like pulling back hair.

The suit came off way more metallic than I wanted in this image for sure. The only part that's supposed to be metal is the shoulder plates. I'll refine the texturing. It's a bit bulky because part of it's function is to give it's user added strength because of the pull of this planet's gravity is much stronger than Earth's, and humans only have limited ability to function without wearing it.

She's also supposed to be half asian, not european. Something I'll have to work on making more clear.
    Last edited by dfbovey; 08-14-2008, 09:32 AM.
    See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
    DeviantArt

Comment

I wanted to comment on this when I first saw it but had no time. It's nicely drawn and I understand the concept - sort of Dune meets WH40K Catachan - that's probably a lot of gibberish to most but they're two worlds I'm familiar with.

Conceptually speaking she's carrying way too many weapons and not enough equipment. Where is her knife? Pockets? Canteen? I don't mind the suit as long as you swipe some ideas from Dune's still suit (it recycles the body's water) and maybe Stormtrooper armor (their underlayer has climate control). This way, losing their suits will not only make them weaker (which I really don't like - how do you depict high gravity in a comic book?) but make them more desperate for water and shelter.

Making her hair straighter would make her look more asian.
      Cheers, Alex

Comment

Never mind, I posted this without seeing the second page there...
        Last edited by Popcorn; 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM. Reason: stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by hadesillustrations View Post
          Conceptually speaking she's carrying way too many weapons and not enough equipment. Where is her knife? Pockets? Canteen?
          Good point with the canteen. Should give her some side pouches for nicknacks. She's always carrying an oversized machete and has two knives on her back. Giving her a smaller knife just didn't cross my mind.

I don't mind the suit as long as you swipe some ideas from Dune's still suit (it recycles the body's water) and maybe Stormtrooper armor (their underlayer has climate control).
          Possibly. Good ideas!

This way, losing their suits will not only make them weaker (which I really don't like - how do you depict high gravity in a comic book?)
          Imagine being chased by a giant venus flytrap, you're running along with your group and the guy next to you has a suit malfunction and you watch him fall back struggling to keep up and he gets devoured. There's plenty of ways to depict it. I don't think it would be difficult at all.

Making her hair straighter would make her look more asian.
          Exactly what I was thinking
          DeviantArt

Comment

Great job on the rendering, visual eye candy!

Comment

Thanks Morgan

Just as a point of reference, this character is more of a scientist and wears a less heavy duty suit. She'll also have a robut. woot...

Last edited by dfbovey; 08-19-2008, 05:25 PM.
              DeviantArt

Comment

Hey David! I hadn't been here for 2,5 years, but I still remembered your name from all these y ears back, it's good to see you are still around! Nice sketches man, your technique has progressed nicely. I'd make the girls arms a tad leaner/thinner though, but other then that it's all pretty solid! Keep up the good work!

-Edwin
                Tell me what to draw on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/rhemdoodles

BLOG: http://rhemdoodles.blogspot.com

Comment

Scientist eh? smart chicks are hot! And her hair style is awesome, gives her tons of attitude, i wanna know what she's thinking. You going to finish rendering the bot behind her? l'd like to see it rendered. The sloping terrain and the perspective on the bot make for a cool shot, tho I think she needs to be just a little more off center to her left. (some one hit me with the golden rule and it got stuck there, hehe) Her wrists seem a little thick, but that could be from turning a wrench for years. Great stuff, looking forward to seeing more of your concepts.

~David

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X