Zombies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zombies!

This was a commissioned piece, the cover art for Bryce Beattie's pulp novel "Oasis". I actually did another version, ended up hating it, and started over; so this is version two. Crits and comments welcome, thanks for looking:
    Echo on Tapas

Echo on line Webtoon

this is sick dude, the colouring texture gives it a modern-organic feel!

Comment

I'm loving the painterly colour style you went with. And of course your underdrawing is solid as always. The only thing I'm not sure about is the halo glow around the zombies. Not sure if it's good or bad, but it kind of stands out to me.
      PUMMEL Stats W: 4 | L: 7 | KO: 4

Comment

Is this the entire piece? Just asking because if it's a cover, won't a lot of the zombies be covered by text/ title/ company logo/ etc?
        PUMMEL Stats * PUMMEL Spreadsheet
        Middleweight W: 13 | L: 7 | KO: 7 | 3 Time Lightweight Champ
        Twitter @necenarro

Comment

I am all about loose, sketchy pieces. But this seems a bit unfinished. maybe a little soft.

I think the guy's pose is a little awkward and the fold's on his shirt above his stomach don't make sense. He kind of looks like he is trying to read something on the bat.

I do love the color choices and composition. The anatomy looks great, really digging all the zombies.
          Shiver Bureau - webcomic
          Cubicles - Digital Graphic Novel. First Chapter is Free
          Website
          DA Gallery
          PUMMEL Stats - Light Heavy - W:4 - L:1 - KO:2

Comment

Originally posted by PencilKnight View Post
            this is sick dude, the colouring texture gives it a modern-organic feel!
            Thanks, man. This is a pretty rough finish for me, but I kinda dug how it looked.
            Echo on Tapas

Echo on line Webtoon

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              I'm loving the painterly colour style you went with. And of course your underdrawing is solid as always. The only thing I'm not sure about is the halo glow around the zombies. Not sure if it's good or bad, but it kind of stands out to me.
              Yeah, I'm a whore for halos, probably should seek professional help. Also I just adjusted the gamma on my screen to get all my apps to display the same colors, so the halo may be more pronounced depending on your computer (I jettisoned the embedded color profile in Photoshop, so I'm not sure how images will look on screens that read that).
              Echo on Tapas

Echo on line Webtoon

Comment

Originally posted by necenarro View Post
                Is this the entire piece? Just asking because if it's a cover, won't a lot of the zombies be covered by text/ title/ company logo/ etc?
                Actually, Bryce (the author) came up with a really good solution to that problem, check it out: Oasis on Amazon.
                Echo on Tapas

Echo on line Webtoon

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Masterman View Post
                  Actually, Bryce (the author) came up with a really good solution to that problem, check it out: Oasis on Amazon.
                  Oh NICE! For some reason I totally missed that it was for a novel. Sorry, was thinking comic cover. I agree a bit with what walter was saying about a little too loose, but knowing your other work, can see that you normally tighten up. I love the style.
                  PUMMEL Stats * PUMMEL Spreadsheet
                  Middleweight W: 13 | L: 7 | KO: 7 | 3 Time Lightweight Champ
                  Twitter @necenarro

Comment

Originally posted by necenarro View Post
                    Oh NICE! For some reason I totally missed that it was for a novel. Sorry, was thinking comic cover. I agree a bit with what walter was saying about a little too loose, but knowing your other work, can see that you normally tighten up. I love the style.
                    Its funny 'cause I was too (thinking comic cover). I sent him a version that had a modest sized title covering as little of the zombie-mass as I could, but still right up where you would expect it. Kinda embarrassing that the author came up with a way-better design choice.

I do normally work tighter, but it seemed like the right subject matter to experiment with loosening up. The original version was so smooth and stiff and lifeless that I went pretty rough here. My wife, who is often very ho-hum about my work, loved this one. Living with such a blunt critic has probably made me sensitive to her praise (be it ever so rare. ).
                    Echo on Tapas

Echo on line Webtoon

Comment

Are they flying Zombies ?
                      Keep that Pencil Busy!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X