• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephants - watercolor

Worked this up as a gift for my mother for Christmas:

Done in watercolors
    See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
    DeviantArt

Great piece dave. I am sure anyone would love that as a gift. What did you use for the highlights? That really makes it jump.
    PuMMeL : Wins 9 --- Losses 11 --- KO 7

FACEBOOK : http://www.facebook.com/EricArmstrongArts
    TWITTER : http://twitter.com/ArmstrongArts
    EMAIL : [email protected]

Comment

Nice work bovey. Great texture work with the wrinkled skin, as well as, smart choice in usage of colors. She'll love it.
      Salamé!

My Deviant Art Gallery

PJ Sketch Blog

Comment

Excellent finish. Really intensified!

Comment

This is really beautiful. You know how to work with watercolor really well. very talented. keep it up

Comment

Nice job on this Elephants illustration, Dave. This is definitely a different look from your pencils, and I like it. There is a real feeling of three dimensionality in the wrinkles and crenelations on the skin of both elephants. Did you use white ink or gouache for some of the white areas?
            HW(ret.):W42/ L29/KO16

Comment

Wow! Really fantastic piece here man. I love the juxtaposition between the simple background and details in the figures... great job!
              "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

Comment

Nice finish, golden!
                My Deviant Art gallery http://the-standard.deviantart.com/
                Check out my website:http://capitumini.com/
                Twitter:capitumini
                Facebook: Dan Capitumini
                Commission? just ask!

Comment

The choice of colors is perfect! Very nice work indeed!

What type of watercolor paints are you using? No matter, this is some fine work.

Comment

Excellent, Dave. I love the background.
                    Check out paulmcrae.ca.
                    My DeviantArt Page

Comment

I always like your work...very pleasing to the eye

It may be nitpicky and I may be wrong but when I look a bit longer to this picture, then I get a feeling that the left head seems to be floating a bit instead of being attached to the rest of the elephant? Maybe that's just because of my lack of elephant anatomy though

Comment

This photo proofs that I'm wrong

In your drawing you are almost exactly on that same edge when it comes to just seeing a bit of the frontleg or not

Comment

Thanks everyone! Really glad you dig it.

Originally posted by k.khoon View Post
                          What type of watercolor paints are you using? No matter, this is some fine work.
                          I use a mix of Van Gogh cake watercolors and Cotman tube watercolors. For additive white, I used a product called Aquacover liquid watercolor paper. Which when used without water, isn't transparent at all.

Originally posted by Cantpaint View Post
                          I always like your work...very pleasing to the eye

It may be nitpicky and I may be wrong but when I look a bit longer to this picture, then I get a feeling that the left head seems to be floating a bit instead of being attached to the rest of the elephant? Maybe that's just because of my lack of elephant anatomy though
                          Yeah, its' right on the edge of where you'd see some of the leg, but I this will also be matted and framed, so about a quarter to a half an inch of the paper will be covered on all edges. I had to weigh the fact that the matting may cause some awkward cropping of the legs and decided to leave them out.
                          Last edited by dfbovey; 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM.
                          See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
                          DeviantArt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X