Bedroom Astronomer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedroom Astronomer

So....I've got another 2 weeks to finish this image off - but I'm at a stage where I've kinda finished it already (feels good to be on top of things). Anyway, I thought I'd post it up here so that all you lovely people can point out any bits and pieces that I've overlooked. I'll post the colours and the original pencils (which were lost when the site moved servers)....

Colours:

Pencils:

Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

I love the pencils and your colors.

Here is a nit-pick: Your style is so distinct that it clashes with real images. My eyes are forced to the things that aren't drawn. Automatically i'm looking at the poster on the wall, the images on the t.vs, the floor pattern and not the your drawing.

does that make sense?
    Last edited by Teratophile; 12-05-2010, 07:52 PM.
    Pummel: Wins: 35|Losses: 9|Knockouts: 26|Months Champion:7

https://www.instagram.com/teratophile.art/

Comment

Nice! - although I think that instead of a planet on one of the monitors, it should be the plans for the Deathstar
      success is not the absence of failure, but the overcoming of it
      All-Time THUNDERBRAWL CHAMP
      HW|Record:24-3|KOs:15|3-timeLHWchamp|3-timeMWchamp
      STATS
      STOCKPILE

Comment

X-Files "I want to believe" poster and atari joystick for the win! Seriously awesome nerd poster. I agree with Teratophile that the floor is a bit distracting, but think the poster and monitor images are just fine.

But shame on you for not including a miniature tardis or a PhD on the wall proclaiming Dr. Who.
        Last edited by McNiel; 12-05-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I agree with thisRay .these real world images draw me away for your cool off beat style.my 12 cents are too re draw the monitor i images in your style Dean.
          But that being said, Anvil hard core work my over the pond friend.
          Originally posted by Teratophile View Post
          I love the pencils and your colors.

Here is a nit-pick: Your style is so distinct that it clashes with real images. My eyes are forced to the things that aren't drawn. Automatically i'm looking at the poster on the wall, the images on the t.vs, the floor pattern and not the your drawing.

does that make sense?
          devianart
          http://brokenhill.deviantart.com/

.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Broken...2971015?v=info

'

Comment

I really like how this one came out, Dean. I agree with the others about the real images on the monitors, though. Perhaps you could add some sort of filter to those images to take down the realism just a notch or two (IE a watercolor filter or something along those lines?).
            HW(ret.):W42/ L29/KO16

Comment

Jumpin' Jupiter! Your BEST work!

The realistic photos don't really bother me much. In the age of SOUTH PARK, I'm pretty used to seeing cartoons meeting with reality, so this works for me fine. It didn't bug me when Jack Kirby used to use photo collages in the FANTASTIC FOUR, either, for the record. I can see how it might be a little much for some folks though.
              Last edited by Bruce Lee; 12-06-2010, 08:38 AM.
              http://www.lostonwallace.com
              http://lostonwallace.deviantart.com

I HAVE A NEW WEBSITE NOW!! FINALLY!! SHOW ME SOME LOVE, & CHECK IT OUT:
              http://www.lostonwallace.com

Comment

Awesome job Dean!

I do agree with Ray a bit with the photo images. If they could be desaturated or made to look more like watercolor wash I think it would integrate more and not be the focus as much.
                See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
                DeviantArt

Comment

I really like it Dean. For sure one of the best thing I've seen from you! I like the composition so detailed and with a good 3D effect of the machinery, but without lose the focus on the main character! Yopu coloured it in a very good way. As i said I can see the pic overhall composition at the first glance understanding very well everything and I can enjoy myself in finding fantastic details as the futurama figures or the Galileo portrait without being distracted from the "main communication".

I agree with Dave about (if possible) making the photo less realistic, but it's a "nice to have" the drawing is amazing
                  Simone Guglielmini
                  http://www.simoneguglielmini.com/

Comment

The photos in the monitors don't bother me as much as the floor. But I'd maybe try what Scmarooney suggested. Looks fantastic though.
                    PUMMEL Stats * PUMMEL Spreadsheet
                    Middleweight W: 13 | L: 7 | KO: 7 | 3 Time Lightweight Champ
                    Twitter @necenarro

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

My eyes kind of 'enjoy' the clash of drawn and photo elements -- but, as so many people have raised it as an issue, I will draw some of the screens and see what it looks like.

I'll post the results in due course.

Thanks again!!
                      Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

the realistic screens didn't bother me as much as the floor did, the chair looked like it was floating a little bit. some shadows might help.

:edit- nevermind, thats becouse you can't see the rollers. I'm an idiot, sorry.
                        P.R. Scholtz
                        Tumblr
                        DeviantArt
                        Twitter
                        My Wife can beat up your Dad

Comment

Beastly illustration, like all the details. I will have to agree with the comments regarding redrawing the parts that were pasted in, I think that will look much better.
                          PUMMEL Stats: Wins: 20 | Losses: 10 | 3 Time LHW Champ | Rank: 5th in HW Division.

Facebook and Google+
                          Website

Comment

Sweeet!

I don't mind the photos on the monitors since you are consistent with that. The floor and posters give me problems .
                            Jack Kirby Centennial Tribute Book is free to download.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Comment

I have ZERO problems with the photos mixed in with your off beat style.. in fact... I think the off beat style is what makes the photorealism work well in this image! My only beef with the thing is that since you did use the photographic images in the piece... it makes the Star Wars sticker on the clunky monitor in the foreground look goofy... I think that sticker should be a photo too... that would bring it all together for me.
                              Goonies never say die!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X