Hick Noir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hick Noir

The shadows (black spots) are well placed and they work as they should: they show the light source, but also give to this character the "noir" feeling he deserve

Please check better the shoulders size, especialy the lenght between the neck and the end of the shoulder, one seems more long than he other.

Anoter thing: the ink need more work especially in the shirt, you have to "use" the shadows there to show the shirt drapery a bit.

try to add a "noir smoke" to the cigarette...a white smoke that split the black spot area a bit...
    Just my opinion
    Simone Guglielmini
    http://www.simoneguglielmini.com/

Comment

Thank you for the comments! I'm a bit confused as to how to properly use lines in a noir style. It seems that the 'lighting' dictates that almost all lines should be practically invisible, with shapes formed by shadows and/or implied by negative space. How/when can you use lines, crosshatching, greys, etc. in the style?

Comment

Originally posted by M.ellis View Post
        Thank you for the comments! I'm a bit confused as to how to properly use lines in a noir style. It seems that the 'lighting' dictates that almost all lines should be practically invisible, with shapes formed by shadows and/or implied by negative space. How/when can you use lines, crosshatching, greys, etc. in the style?
        I don't have the answer, because I can justreply telling yu my taste about it. In my style, for istance, i don't use crosshatching, I'd like to use greys (watercolours etc..) but I'm not good and I'm learning it. I started to use "dry brush" sign thugh using rough paper or just dry the brush and in on a regular smooth paper. I also use old "amost dry" rapido pen (they have a loose sign I dig).

However the best you can do is analyse the work done by artist you really like.

Recently I'm in love with Sean Phillips work on Criminal and he opened ablog where he posts work in progress i find very usefull...hope it helps
        Simone Guglielmini
        http://www.simoneguglielmini.com/

Comment

i really like noir art this one looks good
          keep on posting
          Originally posted by By some Guy
          \/

Comment

"How/when can you use lines, crosshatching, greys, etc. in the style?"

I'm not sure you can?

Comment

Thanks very much for the feedback! Anyone have any favorite "noir" artists/ books they recommend for study (other than Caimano )?

My personal faves: Shawn Martinbrough, Eduard Risso, RM Guera, Ashley Wood.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X