It's The New Guy...roc Bottom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's The New Guy...roc Bottom!

HEY GUYS, IM NEW TO PENCILJACK BUT NOT NEW TO THE GAME! SAW SOME EXTREMELY TALENTED ARTISTS ON HERE AND DECIDED TO THROW MY HAT INTO THE PENCILJACK RING. HERE'S JUST A FEW OF MY PIECES. TELL ME WHAT U THINK. CREATIVE CRITIQUES ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED HERE! NEW STUFF IS COMING!

WOW I REALLY LIKE YOUR STYLE! ITS EXTREME AND INTENSE YOUR COLORS LOOK COOL! I LIKE THE KILL BILL PIECE. YOU LOOK LIKE YOURE INFLUENCED BY GUYS LIKE MAD AND J SCOTT CAMPBELL! WELCOME TO PJ!
    we all loved billy mays
    DON'T CLICK
    http://nickguy0320.deviantart.com/
    http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...php?71084-Doom
    I miss when we all drew like Joe MAD and argued about the Matrix

Comment

Your figures and faces need work even though they are stylized, would you like an example in the form of an overlay/ sketch?

Comment

I donno man, I kinda' dig it. But it's hard for me to give any sort of critique on heavily stylized work, because there's really no hardcore rules... if it looks right, then mission accomplished... and Roc's stuff looks right to me.

Comment

thanks for the feedback. and morganza, i sure would like an example. peeped your stuff, very educational. i'll be keeping an eye on your blog.

Comment

i actually think that it looks good, welcome to the pj...

Comment

In the Freddie pic, I think it would work better if that extended finger broke the panel - rather than disappearing behind it. He'd look more like he was 'coming out at us'.

I also feel that the use of the 'photographic blood spatter' is a little overpowering - and that the highly saturated red doesn't mix well of the muted burgandy of Freddie's jumper. It stops him popping as well as he could do.

The simple colours on the Kill Bill piece work well -- but the anatomy of the guys in the suits is a little weak. Their ultra wide 'legs akimbo' stances are a bit..... hmmm. The stance of the guy with dark hair is particularly weak compared with the rest of the pic. He looks like he should be holding a guitar and rocking out - rather than weilding a sword. The only other thing in this pic that I don't feel is 100% is the direction of the Bride's gaze. She looks like she's looking at a stain that she's discovered on her shoulder (and she's ANGRY with it).

In the last picture, the main thing that I feel hurts the piece is the super-saturated colours. The blue of his overall and the red of the blood are just SO bright and heavy that it kills your linework. I'd really tone it down. In terms of picture construction and anatomy - I quite like the pic overall - apart from he hand holding the machete. The angle/position of the hand dictates that the machete would be held at a very different angle. So, at present, that hand and the angle just really don't match up and it jars a little.
              Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

I totally agree with Beastie. Another thing is your ears tend to be too near the eye. That said, the overall look is really cool. I think you're very talented. Keep posting and welcome to PJ!

Comment

Not trying to devalue your critiques in any way Beastie, because you obviously have more talent and experience than I do, but quite honestly, those are really minor nit-picks (except for the machete angle, didn't notice it before) and aren't deal breakers... I've seen worse and I'm sure you have too.

On the other hand, it's always good to know how other artists would handle the execution of one's work so future pieces can be improved upon.

Comment

Jasons jumpsuit doesnt bother me as much as the blood (in freddy one too)

Bloods just not that bright a red, darken it a bit Id say.... also looks like Jasons running around in the daylight, maybe replace the white background with a drk green or brown...

of course just my suggestions, Im no pro either :P

I really dig the style, I personally like the faces.. on closer inspection Kill Bill girls eyes looks a lil oddly shaped, but whatever haha, not a deal breaker imo... love Freddys face tho...

Comment

jason looks like a black man. he is not.
                      "when there's no more room in hell...the dead will walk the earth."

my drawings
                      my crazy music
                      my facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Scribble King View Post
                        Not trying to devalue your critiques in any way Beastie, because you obviously have more talent and experience than I do, but quite honestly, those are really minor nit-picks and aren't deal breakers...
                        ......in YOUR opinion.

In MY opinion, the things that I've pointed out stop the images from being as good as they could be.

They are FAR from being nitpicks.

Originally posted by Scribble King View Post
                        I've seen worse and I'm sure you have too.
                        I'm still trying to find the part where I said this was the worst art I've ever seen?
                        Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

Originally posted by Beastie View Post
                          ......in YOUR opinion.

In MY opinion, the things that I've pointed out stop the images from being as good as they could be.
                          Point well taken... gonna move on now before midgets with baseball bats show up on my doorstep... have a great day.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X