Clear All

• Victorian House

the wonky lines are intended because it's a children's book illustration
    tell me what you think please..

my tumblr

facebook

nice work!

Comment

It's nicely drawn - and I like the brightness of the colours.

There's something a little flat about it though, for some reason.

After looking at things closely for a while - I think its because there's not a very strong light source - or a substantial shadow on the house.

If you took this into photoshop - put a new layer above everything else, set it to multiply and then added some severe shadows using a grey tone - I think that the image would really start to pop off the page.

I'm mainly thinking under the eaves and under the porch -- but set a strong light source and then just hit shade everything that would be affected.

I don't think that the quality of the sky wash really helps to enhance the house in any way. I'm not sure what you could do to improve that though -- so I'll throw it out there and see if anyone else has any ideas.......
      Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

Nice work, I agree with the above post though. I think if the roof was rendered a bit more, darker with highlights from sun and a darken up the shadows a bit more it will be a stronger piece.
        www.jonasink.com

Comment

thank you very much guys!!

great advice beastie!!
          I did this in 5 minutes and it's really much better. have to do it again more carefully though.
          my tumblr

facebook

Comment

No worries I'm glad it worked.
            Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

I like it!
              www.kevinsteward.blogspot.com
              You can't succeed unless you fail-pigeonmilk
              https://www.instagram.com/pigeonmilk70/
              https://twitter.com/StewDaSix2
              https://twitter.com/ApolloNovel

Comment

That second version is much better. Nice stuff.
                Pages, Updates, and Sketches on My Blog

Follow me on Twitter

Comment

thank you very much!!!
                  my tumblr

facebook

Comment

I really like the way this came out!
                    Art Blog-Website-EDEN-
                    Twitter

Comment

I think the reason the (supposedly) slanted roof looks as if it's entirely vertical, is because you made the lines resemble a brick wall. There's no perspective to it in comparison to the wooden wall. If you'd very subtly make the lines move outwards from the center depending on the steepness of the roof, it might give it more depth.

Also, you've spaced out the lines equally. The lines at the bottom are supposed to resemble more horizontal parts and thus should be closer together to create depth, though you did do this, you didn't change it gradually, so to me it more resembles a layer of thinner bricks rather than flatter bits. ^^"

The shadows themselves are rather oddly placed, the lightsource seems very inconsistant tbh. :/ on the windows the lightsource seems to be straight to the left, while underneath the porches it seems to come from straight above.

The roof is shaded even more random. From the left, top, maybe even from behind?

I dunno, I think you should at least really reconsider your shadows and consider making the "flatter" parts of the roof lighter than the more vertical bits.

Hope that helps.
                      Me @ Deviantart, oh noes!

Comment

[QUOTE=Bozzilla;1092528]the wonky lines are intended because it's a children's book illustration
                        tell me what you think please..

I love the sketch. Is there any chance I could get permission to use it for a charity event? It would be part of a poster advertising a house tour. At the moment, it is just some suggestions for a committee of volunteers. I have not been able to find any direct link to the artist. Will provide more detail if the group selects my layout.

Comment

The link to the sketch is broken. I can't see any sketch. How can you?

As too not being able to contact the artist, he has his FB and tumbler links in his signature line.
                          OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
                          My Blog
                          My DeviantART Page
                          PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X