• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange pencils

More Marvel...

-scherzo
    skycraftstudios

It looks like you've worked hard to create a dramatic piece, scherzo, and my hat is off to you for your efforts. It's a tight and clean piece, that would be easy to ink. It's not over rendered, and the layout is good. I can tell that you're experimenting a little with things, and you've put in a lot of effort. It's a good looking piece, but I think it stand some improvement, here and there. In the spirit of providing you with a meaningful critique, I'll go into some detail as to how I think the illustration could be improved.

It's an interesting image, scherzo, but I'm a little confused by it. Is Dr. Strange engaging in combat with the Surfer, or are they working together against some off-page threat? It's really not clear as to which is the case. If Strange is about to fight with the Silver Surfer, then I think Strange's head needs to be facing more in the Surfer's direction.

The lighting on the whole lacks consistency throughout the drawing. As a black and white image, it's odd that the left side of Strange's face has heavy shadows, yet he has no such heavy shadows on his tunic or tunic sleeves. It's also odd that the moonlight isn't casting some sort of rim lighting on Dr. Strange's thigh. While shadows added in the color stage could help with shadow consistency on the tunic, you'd be putting a whole lot of trust and all the burden on the colorist to get the shadows correct.

Strange's face is a little weird looking. Some of the proportions are a little odd, I think. His nose is a little long, his chin a little weak, and his eye brows seem extremely stylized, which stand out as being particularly odd considering that most of Strange's body proportions seem to be more in the realm of the realistic.

The folds and wrinkles of Strange's tunic sleeves (etc) aren't very convincing. It looks like guess-work on your part, to be honest. You would be better off seeking out reference images to help. It's important to master folds, wrinkles and drapery to give your drawings credibility. It's something you should think about. Here's a couple of links containing some clothing folds that might prove of use to you. I still suggest seeking out some photo reference to guide you, but these should help some too:

http://www.lostonwallace.com/folds1.jpg
    http://www.lostonwallace.com/folds2.jpg
    http://www.lostonwallace.com/folds3.jpg
    http://www.lostonwallace.com/folds4.jpg

Strange's fingers look a little on the short and stubby side. I think you could elongate them just a little, and the drawing would be better for it.

The way you rendered the Moon is a little problematic. By darkening in the "seas" on the Moon, you've created pockets of high contrast that actually draw the viewer's eyes away from the Surfer, who should be much more of a focal point in the image. The Moon's importance should be far less significant, so you might want to simplify things.

The shadow's on the stone gargoyle aren't really accurate. More research could be done on lighting things.

Finally let me say that the cityscape, though interesting enough, hardly seems like a view of New York City. I am assuming that Strange is out on the balcony of his home in Greenwich Village here. But the buildings in the background don't remind me of the NYC cityscape that I'm familiar with. Perhaps more familiar building shapes might be a better choice.

Anyway, I hope that my crits and comments help. I'm enjoying the opportunity to view your work on PJ, and hope to witness the growth in your skills as you continue posting work.

Take care,
    Loston
    http://www.lostonwallace.com
    http://lostonwallace.deviantart.com

I HAVE A NEW WEBSITE NOW!! FINALLY!! SHOW ME SOME LOVE, & CHECK IT OUT:

Comment

Critique much appreciated as always Loston. The effort certainly deserves a response, so I'll focus on a couple of points:
      Is Dr. Strange engaging in combat with the Surfer, or are they working together against some off-page threat? It's really not clear as to which is the case. If Strange is about to fight with the Silver Surfer, then I think Strange's head needs to be facing more in the Surfer's direction.
      Confrontation all the way!(argument over which actor played the best James Bond escalated ) Looking at it now, I think just a slight adjustment in Strange's eyes would remove any confusion over where his attention is.
      The lighting on the whole lacks consistency throughout the drawing. As a black and white image, it's odd that the left side of Strange's face has heavy shadows, yet he has no such heavy shadows on his tunic or tunic sleeves. It's also odd that the moonlight isn't casting some sort of rim lighting on Dr. Strange's thigh. While shadows added in the color stage could help with shadow consistency on the tunic, you'd be putting a whole lot of trust and all the burden on the colorist to get the shadows correct.
      Inconsistent lighting yes tis true. I have no problem with the concept of perfect light sourcing, but in this case I deliberately opted to leave the lines on the good Doctor be for the most part. It's actually my first attempt at drawing him, and wasn't exactly keen on the idea of bathing him in darkness. Fancy way of saying I got nervous about overdoing the blacks.
      Strange's face is a little weird looking. Some of the proportions are a little odd, I think. His nose is a little long, his chin a little weak, and his eye brows seem extremely stylized, which stand out as being particularly odd considering that most of Strange's body proportions seem to be more in the realm of the realistic.
      His face in general is slightly more stylized than the typical male face I'll draw. I think of him as having more angular features than normal but I can easily understand why people might be put off by it. I was more concerned about his forehead than his chin though.
      The folds and wrinkles of Strange's tunic sleeves (etc) aren't very convincing. It looks like guess-work on your part, to be honest. You would be better off seeking out reference images to help. It's important to master folds, wrinkles and drapery to give your drawings credibility. It's something you should think about. Here's a couple of links containing some clothing folds that might prove of use to you. I still suggest seeking out some photo reference to guide you, but these should help some too:
      Well we're definitely parting ways on this point Loston. Reference and observation of folds and drapery is an ongoing journey I embarked on long ago. It's been thought about, studied, and incrementally improved, in spite of the apparently poor showing here.
      Strange's fingers look a little on the short and stubby side. I think you could elongate them just a little, and the drawing would be better for it.
      They look "strange"? C'mon, you know you wanna say it!
      Finally let me say that the cityscape, though interesting enough, hardly seems like a view of New York City. I am assuming that Strange is out on the balcony of his home in Greenwich Village here. But the buildings in the background don't remind me of the NYC cityscape that I'm familiar with. Perhaps more familiar building shapes might be a better choice.
      Identifiable buildings would have locked me into a set location where any deviation in the familiar landscape would have stood out obtrusively. One of the reasons I chose not to use Strange's home in the shot.(I didn't even know his place had the creepy gargoyle thing going on) But you're right of course, the real deal city would have looked hot if I could summon that kind of energy.
      Anyway, I hope that my crits and comments help. I'm enjoying the opportunity to view your work on PJ, and hope to witness the growth in your skills as you continue posting work.
      All constructive crits and comments are useful to hear, and always greatly appreciated. In fact it's extremely rare I get to actually discuss some of the finer points of an individual pencil job. Even when I don't agree, I enjoy seeing the observations. Thanks for posting!

-scherzo
      skycraftstudios

Comment

Originally posted by scherzo View Post
        Well we're definitely parting ways on this point Loston. Reference and observation of folds and drapery is an ongoing journey I embarked on long ago. It's been thought about, studied, and incrementally improved, in spite of the apparently poor showing here.-scherzo
        Just for clarification, I stated my opinion that the folds you drew on Strange's tunic didn't seem very convincing to me. To me, they did look a bit like you might have been guessing at things more than doing your research, but that wasn't meant as an insult. I do believe you when you say you have worked on observing and improving folds and drapery, but I think you need to continue to study folds and wrinkles. Google Image searching for photos under "medieval tunic" or " rennaissance shirt", or something similar might actually turn up some good reference images that could help you out. I found this useful reference image in only a few minutes:
        http://www.likelylotusblue.com/Shirts/DropYokeShirt.jpg

I'm glad I could offer you some helpful advice.

Loston
        http://lostonwallace.deviantart.com

I HAVE A NEW WEBSITE NOW!! FINALLY!! SHOW ME SOME LOVE, & CHECK IT OUT:

Comment

Loston's right about the folds though. I hope this doesn't offend you but I just thought that you should really put more emphasis on the folds to really pull this piece from good to great. One thing I remember learning is that no matter what ( including no matter the style ) all things fall with gravity including clothing. The anchor point for the sleeve ( the arm that's in the air ) looks to be accurate but there should be a bit of compression folding going on along the forearm area of the sleeve. There should also be some folds indicating where his sleeve meets the cuff.

Anyway it's a good piece but take Loston's advice it'll really make this piece fantastic. Keep up the good work !
          my deviantart page

Comment

Thanks TropicalPencil! No offense taken, and I do see what you mean about the compression folding at the forearm. I'm actually having a go at a "continuation" shot from the Surfer's pov because I want another crack at handling Strange's threads. It WILL be posted!
            Just for clarification, I stated my opinion that the folds you drew on Strange's tunic didn't seem very convincing to me. To me, they did look a bit like you might have been guessing at things more than doing your research, but that wasn't meant as an insult.
            No worries Loston. I was a bit groggy when I saw your post at 5am this morning, but nothing you wrote came across as insulting. Thanks again.

-scherzo
            skycraftstudios

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X