• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• character design

Need some thoughts, crits and ideas. Once I completed this it
    just seemed so generic. Like an amalgam of cap, thor and nick fury
    apparently.

Backstory. This was a character I thought up during highschool.
    Don't have the original drawing cos my mate kept my works. I used
    to play rugby league and follow this team.
    So the motif behind the design was to do a futuristic viking using
    lime green in the design.

Should I scrap the idea? Give him horns?

lineaert

4 arm version

2 arm version

no offence but I have problems not laughing because it REALLY looks like he's doing the running man. Its still a pretty cool design though, I preffer the 2 robotic arms version.
    Sign your rep, What's a' matter Mcfly
    ...CHICKEN!?

MY COMIC!

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/

Comment

Yeh...I was thinking two arms looks better.
      But I wanna draw a four armed character as silly as the idea is.
      And I cant have this guy doing the moonwalk just yet

Comment

Cool drawing Dri, colors seem dark to me. Other than that good clean drawing. Much improvement on your part.
        || DeviantART || PUMMEL Stats || XLIVE & PSN: clarkspark

Comment

I like the four armed version (and the colours you've used) - but I don't like the position on his legs or his little biker boots.

The upper half of his body is trimmed with gold and green and general shiny brightess - and then his legs and boots are black and grey. There's a kind of 'visual imbalance' going on, in my opinion.

I think I'd try beefing up his boots a bit and maybe adding some of the rich colours that adorn his top half.
          Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

I agree about the legs lacking some color. I like both versions, but I think if you go with 4 arms, you should move the bottom set either "down" or "back" to give him a little more range of motion. Plus (IMO) it would be awesome to have arms on your back, lol...
            Clarice Starling: If you didn't kill him, then who did, sir?

Hannibal Lecter: Who can say. Best thing for him, really. His therapy was going nowhere.

Comment

Yeah, it's seems from the waist down, it could be a different costume. Some gold/brass on the boots would help out. I see chunkier boots too
              Check out the Vanguard web comic site.
              and here on Twitter

Comment

i like the four arms too, you should definitely keep that. i would think about changing the helmet, though. it looks more native american than viking, mostly because of the feathers. i'd go with something more like:

Either it's murder, or this library has a very strict overdue policy. -Det. Crosetti, Homicide

Famous Last Words:
                "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--" -Gen. John Sedgwick

Comment

He's a pretty weird fellow!
                  I agree with what's been said regarding the helmet and the lower part of the costume.
                  I'd also try to tackle a more interesting pose, right now it's pretty hard to know what the guy is supposed to be doing.

Pretty cool otherwise
                  http://jel.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Baltar View Post
                    Cool drawing Dri, colors seem dark to me. Other than that good clean drawing. Much improvement on your part.
                    Too dark. Hmmm..Must see my eye doctor

Originally posted by Beastie View Post
                    I like the four armed version (and the colours you've used) - but I don't like the position on his legs or his little biker boots.

The upper half of his body is trimmed with gold and green and general shiny brightess - and then his legs and boots are black and grey. There's a kind of 'visual imbalance' going on, in my opinion.

I think I'd try beefing up his boots a bit and maybe adding some of the rich colours that adorn his top half.
                    Yeh..I agree about the position of the legs. The boots and pants
                    I do like to tone down in a design. I'll tweak it tho bigger boots
                    and recolour.

Originally posted by Taylea Chisum View Post
                    I agree about the legs lacking some color. I like both versions, but I think if you go with 4 arms, you should move the bottom set either "down" or "back" to give him a little more range of motion. Plus (IMO) it would be awesome to have arms on your back, lol...
                    Point noted about arms being lower in future.

Originally posted by Mr.Hades View Post
                    Yeah, it's seems from the waist down, it could be a different costume. Some gold/brass on the boots would help out. I see chunkier boots too
                    Will do, Dan.

Originally posted by ITDGage View Post
                    i like the four arms too, you should definitely keep that. i would think about changing the helmet, though. it looks more native american than viking, mostly because of the feathers. i'd go with something more like:

http://www.englishmonarchs.co.uk/ima...ing_helmet.jpg
                    http://www.gjermundbu.com/images/helmet.jpg.
                    Good point. In high school I gave him a Viking helmet with the horns.
                    Don't want to be slavish to keeping it viking tho as he is a
                    viking out of time. I'll show you what I mean about the original
                    concept later.

Originally posted by Jel View Post
                    He's a pretty weird fellow!
                    I agree with what's been said regarding the helmet and the lower part of the costume.
                    I'd also try to tackle a more interesting pose, right now it's pretty hard to know what the guy is supposed to be doing.

Pretty cool otherwise
                    He is weird. The pose is supposed to be pre battle video game
                    pose for a draw off i have with Slam. I just wanted to revisit
                    something so long ago.

Cheers for the help all.
                    Dri

Comment

2 cents= I agree with the above note. I don't really get a snese of viking from him. More south american. I'd recommend getting some reference to really dial in the costume and weapons to the viking style.
                      My Deviant Art Page
                      My Pummel Matches
                      P.U.M.M.E.L. Middle Weight - Stats - Wins 19 - Lose 6 - KO's 16 - Tie 2

Comment

The more I see it the more I see Man at Arms. After crits and the
                        original helmet idea I had years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Telekinetic Ketchup View Post
                          no offence but I have problems not laughing because it REALLY looks like he's doing the running man.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ceegnWSENQ
                          DON'T CLICK
                          http://nickguy0320.deviantart.com/
                          http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...php?71084-Doom
                          I miss when we all drew like Joe MAD and argued about the Matrix

Comment

that's better. i really like the idea, but i'd take it even further. get some reference on viking weaponry and make that axe and hammer more nordic. this is looking really good.
                            Either it's murder, or this library has a very strict overdue policy. -Det. Crosetti, Homicide

Famous Last Words:
                            "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--" -Gen. John Sedgwick

Comment

Four arms is more appealing, and gives him a chance to use the restroom without any unfortunate accidents.
                              Lime green helmet horns seem kind of poofy instead of strong to me, but different cultures different rules, so who am I to say.
                              Oh, and if you're wanting to keep it authentic, though I'm assuming that's not really important since this is high fantasy, helmets from the Scandanavian Viking period had neither horns nor wings. That piece of myth-lore got started sometime in the 19th century I believe.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X