X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grant08
    • Apr 2017

Splash page

Here's a splash page from a project i'm working right now. Pencils and inking by me.

• humble-tomato
    • Oct 2014

Looks great

Comment

• Smitty
      • Mar 2007

Just as a personal request you could make this image more user friendly if you'd resize it for the web. 3 feet x 4 feet is way too big! In CMYK it weighs in at 35MB!!! EEK! Change mode to grayscale at it drops to 8MB. Resize to a width of 1000 pixels and it drops to just over 1mb and still contains all the clarity we need with minimum scrolling.

Tilting the castle robs the image of it's power. If we straighten the image (in PS or mentally) the central figure goes from mild forward progress to back pedaling. By increasing the size of the central figure and the forward Orc even more so, we bring the viewer INTO the battle rather than show it at a "safe" distance. Watch out for the void you've created in the center by dropping out BG details (grass, bodies, equipment etc) Choose between the castle or the forest. Keep one, lose the other. If keeping the castle, clear out the forest so folks can't sneak up on you. If it's a forest ambush, lose the castle and give us trees in the mid-ground and foreground as well.

In animation terms there are 3 types of drawings: Extremes (furthest up, down, left, right) Breakdowns (smack in the middle of the extremes) and In-Betweens (those in-between the rest) To show action, Extremes good, anything else bad. The worst pose is the Breakdown; existing in the middle of the extremes it's the one pose most devoid of action. You're using the Breakdowns for the central figure and the forward Orc. Push those figures into positions that cannot be held. Notice how I've pushed the central figure into an extreme windup, it's as wound up as it can get before it explodes. Note how the forward Orc has exploded. We can't see the target but we know it's paid the price.

Look to Hal Foster and Frank Frazetta for inspiration in this type of setting.
      PaulMartinSmith

Comment

• Brandino Nebitt
        • Feb 2015

This post is going in my Paul Smith’s Art School folder, man. “Poses that can’t be held”. I’m gonna remember that.
        Brandon Nebitt
        LHW: 3W-1L-0KO

SF: 1W-1L-1KO

Comment

• Grant08
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by humble-tomato View Post
          Looks great
          Thanks!​

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
          Just as a personal request you could make this image more user friendly if you'd resize it for the web. 3 feet x 4 feet is way too big! In CMYK it weighs in at 35MB!!! EEK! Change mode to grayscale at it drops to 8MB. Resize to a width of 1000 pixels and it drops to just over 1mb and still contains all the clarity we need with minimum scrolling.

Tilting the castle robs the image of it's power. If we straighten the image (in PS or mentally) the central figure goes from mild forward progress to back pedaling. By increasing the size of the central figure and the forward Orc even more so, we bring the viewer INTO the battle rather than show it at a "safe" distance. Watch out for the void you've created in the center by dropping out BG details (grass, bodies, equipment etc) Choose between the castle or the forest. Keep one, lose the other. If keeping the castle, clear out the forest so folks can't sneak up on you. If it's a forest ambush, lose the castle and give us trees in the mid-ground and foreground as well.

In animation terms there are 3 types of drawings: Extremes (furthest up, down, left, right) Breakdowns (smack in the middle of the extremes) and In-Betweens (those in-between the rest) To show action, Extremes good, anything else bad. The worst pose is the Breakdown; existing in the middle of the extremes it's the one pose most devoid of action. You're using the Breakdowns for the central figure and the forward Orc. Push those figures into positions that cannot be held. Notice how I've pushed the central figure into an extreme windup, it's as wound up as it can get before it explodes. Note how the forward Orc has exploded. We can't see the target but we know it's paid the price.

Look to Hal Foster and Frank Frazetta for inspiration in this type of setting.
          Wow! Thank you for the detailed feedback and advice.

Originally posted by Brandino Nebitt View Post
          This post is going in my Paul Smith’s Art School folder, man. “Poses that can’t be held”. I’m gonna remember that.
          ​Exactly!

Comment

• Beastie
            [SUPPORTER]
            • Aug 2001

Smitty has given you a masterclass
            Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

• Beastie
              [SUPPORTER]
              • Aug 2001

I wrote more than that. Hell knows where it went