Hot Topic - Publisher Pick'em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Topic - Publisher Pick'em!

There are some comic book fans follow certain characters. Other fans seek out books from specific creators or creative teams. And there are still others who are loyal to some of the biggest players in the comic book industry: The Publishers.

The Setup
    You're walking down the street, considering purchasing a chili dog (with everything, except onions; you hate onions) from the vendor on the corner. Before you make it to the Weiner Box-on-Wheels™, a cosmic entity appears before you in a flash of bright light, speed lines and Kirby dots.

The entity waves its futuristically-armored hand and you're presented with an image for several comic book publishers (hey, just like in our poll! What a coincidence!)

"YOU MUST CHOOSE," the entity says, in a voice not unlike that of the late Orson Welles. "It has been decreed. Only ONE may remain. ALL others will ... cease to be. YOU MUST CHOOSE NOW!"

The Choice
    Tough choice, huh? Pick an option in the poll, and dive into the topic to explain your answer if you like. If you selected [Other - I'll explain], let us know which publisher you chose to save from cosmic obliteration, and why!

Top 8 Publishers listed are based on Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc. Publisher market Shares: October 2011
    DC Comics
    14.23%
    Marvel Comics
    29.96%
    Image Comics
    32.96%
    Dark Horse Comics
    8.61%
    IDW Publishing
    4.49%
    Dynamite Entertainment
    1.12%
    Boom! Studios
    2.25%
    Other - I'll explain
    6.37%
    Terry
    [email protected]

IDW because if I had to save a comic book publisher, i'd save the one that's not overladen with the schlocky bullshit of skittles colored superheroes (and because Ashley Wood's stuff is printed there )
    DON'T CLICK
    http://nickguy0320.deviantart.com/
    http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...php?71084-Doom
    I miss when we all drew like Joe MAD and argued about the Matrix

Comment

Normally I'd say save DC, but I really hate the direction that company is going in right now, so I'm going to say Marvel, because I really like what Bendis, Brubaker & Hickman are doing right now.

In a Post-Didio world, I'd probably choose DC.
      Writing Contest Entries

Comment

Image, loads of variety.
        P.R. Scholtz
        Tumblr
        DeviantArt
        Twitter
        My Wife can beat up your Dad

Comment

Originally posted by cbikle View Post
          Normally I'd say save DC, but I really hate the direction that company is going in right now, so I'm going to say Marvel, because I really like what Bendis, Brubaker & Hickman are doing right now.

In a Post-Didio world, I'd probably choose DC.

I'm pretty much the opposite. Before the new 52 I would have said Image, but with Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batwoman, JL Dark and the new ultra-violent feel of DC... I'm going with DC.
          PUMMEL Stats W: 4 | L: 7 | KO: 4

Comment

Image is where most of my pull list resides.
            Check out Film Grouch!

Wanna be uncool? Unhip? Unhung? Join the Monkey Revolution!

Amadarwin's unauthorized, unscathing, unfinished biography.

Comment

Image, because I'm trying to create my own comics, and that's where I'd publish them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                I'm pretty much the opposite. Before the new 52 I would have said Image, but with Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batwoman, JL Dark and the new ultra-violent feel of DC... I'm going with DC.
                The titles you mentioned are the ones I hear the most praise about (Along with Action & Detective Comics), not because of their violence, but because they're some of DC's better written & drawn titles.

The "New 52" is a weird hybrid of some quality books and a lot of crap books and I don't think the line of books they have now is sustainable, but I guess we'll see how right I am about that.
                Writing Contest Entries

Comment

Marvel for me. Mainly because that is where I started ( along with 2000AD ) and their universe presents a better canvas. Image has more of an edge in some senses but are inconsistent. Have never really bonded with DC, mainly because of their "Universe" being a little too cookey for me.
                  Diary of a Super Fiend

Collected Zepster

Comment

Marvel because of childhood memories
                    My PJ blog latest post.

Comment

Marvel... but then if I ever wanted to get a comic of mine published I'd have to do it independently! Still though... Marvel.
                      Goonies never say die!

Comment

Wait, does all their old stuff remain or does this apply to the past too?
                        My PJ blog latest post.

Comment

I went with Image because, color me pretentious, I think creator owned is the way of the future in comics. Image offers the most variety, creator fairness, and publicity. Not to say any one of these other companies doesn't offer more of any one of those three things, but none of them can touch Image in all 3. Plus, with the other companies gone even more of these great creators at the other companies would come do creator owned work. I love and will always love Marvel, but if this choice were mine, I'd vote change.

I'm also assuming in my answer that no other publishers will rise from the ashes and start anew. So basically, I'm picking which one I'd be stuck with forever here. Toughy for sure, but I like my answer.

Comment

I read more Marvel books than anything - not for any character loyalty, I'm a creator-follower - but I voted Image because, as a creator, I wouldn't want the only publisher in the game to be one that outright owns everything they publish. (Yes, there's ICON, but that's only available to a select few.)

Also... I work on an Image book. So there's that.
                            Colorist on Secret from Image Comics. Also writer/artist of sh*t they don't pay me to do.

New Website: MichaelCGarland.com

Comment

Originally posted by killingyouguy View Post
                              I read more Marvel books than anything - not for any character loyalty, I'm a creator-follower - but I voted Image because, as a creator, I wouldn't want the only publisher in the game to be one that outright owns everything they publish. (Yes, there's ICON, but that's only available to a select few.)

Also... I work on an Image book. So there's that.
                              Off subject, I reviewed Secret and actually raved about your colors. Some of the best I've seen, no lie.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X