No announcement yet.

What makes you buy a particular comic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The art first, writing next. Sometimes you get both as top notch like Calvin & Hobbes.
    www.gilmoreart.com Website
    http://www.coroflot.com/Arrow More Art
    [email protected] E-mail
    LHW Champion
    HW Champion

Comment

Opena, Ribic, Mad, i would buy any sketchbook from these guys. I gave up some books after they changed the artist, i buy for the art, story is a bonus.
      Middlweight | W:6 L:0 KOs:4 | Streetfights: W:2 L:0 kOs:1
      LightHeavies | W:7| L :3 KOs: ​6
      http://nabisga.deviantart.com/gallery/

Comment

Characters always matter for me.

Comment

For me always characters.

Comment

I suppose it's no surprise that a website called Penciljack places Pencillers at the top of what makes them pick up a new comic I said Pencillers too, but Penciller/Writer combo would win over just a Penciller.

Comment

I always preferred the writers who could draw (or artists who can write!), like Walt Simonsson. When I buy a book it's usually got to have a certain "look" to it and a good story. I don't like the hyperrealisitic, over-rendered style of today. I can't get into a good story if the pages are covered in slick imagery.

Comment

Art first character second story third
                DON'T CLICK
                http://nickguy0320.deviantart.com/
                http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...php?71084-Doom
                I miss when we all drew like Joe MAD and argued about the Matrix

Comment

For me it can be a mix of different reasons. A big thing for me is the theme the book is based on. As an example, I just started to get Image Comics new title "Ringside" as it is a comic based on pro wrestling. It's not much a comic like this is released so I was drawn to it as a fan of pro wrestling.

Comment

Artist/character. Or if they're Warren Ellis.

Comment

• Voted characters for me, even if the artists write really good if they can't establish the characters in a better and unique way I ain't going to be interested.

Comment

• Generally I'll buy anything written by Garth Ennis, Warren Ellis, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison and Alan Moore. (Frank Miller used to be on this list... lol.)

The only artist who can make me pick up a book is Lee Weeks. That guy does not get enough credit. He's the best artist working in American comics, imo, and has been for decades.

Has anyone else had this experience: you read things written by people you used to like as a kid, but as an adult they make you cringe? Off the top of my head that happens every time I pick up a Peter David or Mark Waid book. And Greg Pak would be on that list if he was around when I was a kid.

Comment

• The character and the story bound me to buy the comic series and sometimes I like the character's name too.

Comment

• Between the characters and the story. The last comic I purchased was The Killing Joke, because I had heard of its very distinctive and memorable story.

If I can connect to a story, I know I will be able to enjoy its characters through analyzing their background and understanding their motivations.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X