No announcement yet.

What makes you buy a particular comic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes you buy a particular comic?

We're not talking in the general sense here ... we all know we buy "comics" because comics are awesome. We're talking about that comic - that one right there, in your grubby little hands. Why did you buy THAT comic? What is the single most compelling reason that made you spend your hard-earned cheddar on that comic?
    The Publisher
    1.22%
    The Character(s)
    19.27%
    The Writer
    23.12%
    The Penciller
    48.28%
    The Inker
    2.23%
    The Colorist
    1.01%
    The Letters
    0.20%
    No idea
    4.67%
    Terry
    [email protected]

Sometimes the author, usually though, it's when something has been recommended to me or has received good reviews.
    Need some more webcomic in your diet? Get A Life in the Clouds!

Probably in PJ chat.

If you can't use it as an excuse it bed, you shouldn't use it on a forum.

Comment

if a creator is halfway cool to me at the one con I go to, I'll pretty much buy whatever he puts out, be it artist or writer.

-or they're Garth Ennis.

typically it's due to the charecter, or the artist, or I just heard it was a cool title.

edit: and if I happen to have money.
      P.R. Scholtz
      Tumblr
      DeviantArt
      Twitter
      My Wife can beat up your Dad

Comment

This is another poll where there's no good choice.

I'm usually either buying a book because there's a general consensus that it's good, or because I'm a fan of the artist. In the latter case, I often don't even end up reading it, because the story's probably garbage.
        http://www.brandonpalas.com

Comment

They're ALL good choices.
          Terry
          [email protected]

Comment

This one is tough. I went with characters because I'll buy a book with so-so art or so-so story. But I'll never buy a book that I think is based around crappy characters.

Hack/Slash and Lady Death are probably the only two floppies that I buy every single month. One has so-so art but a good story. The other has awesome art with a story that might have come from the mind of a mentally deficient orangutang. Both have great character designs and really cool concepts.
            PUMMEL Stats W: 4 | L: 7 | KO: 4

Comment

I voted writer. I don't care about who the writer is in particular, and I love looking at different art styles. I just like a good story.
              My Sketch Blog

My DeviantArt

Fair warning, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm going to keep doing it though.

Comment

I think a key item that is missing is 'The Buzz'. I've almost fallen off the map when it comes to comics and can barely keep up. When I do find time to shop, I go to a local shop and ask what's good, or what has a 'staff pick' flag. Same is true of digital comics...looking for reviews on blogs etc.
                My Web Comic:

Vlad the Vegan Vampire

Comment

Yeah, but "buzz" is too easy. Everybody who's followed comics at any length has bought something because of buzz, whether it be buzz about a particular creator, a controversy or something else.
                  Terry
                  [email protected]

Comment

I'm typically drawn to an artist. For example, if Arthur Adams is drawing it, I WILL buy it, no question. Same with guys like Cheung or Coipel, Immonen or JRJr, Jim Lee or Jason Pearson and so many others. As far as writing goes, I love Kirkman's Invincible and would probably continue to buy it no matter who was drawing it, unless it was Liefeld or Bagley or someone whose work I just do not like. Same with writers like BKV or Morrison. Typically I'll read just about any comic they write, unless the art is just detestable, then I stay away. I gave up buying X-Men in the early aughts because the writing made me sick, but has the art been fantastic, like Scott Lobdell doing the writing on a Jim Lee drawn comic, I would have stuck around.

But typically, I pretty much buy comics for the artwork. Great writing is icing.
                    Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Comment

I guess that's the difference though, some people like the art, and to me the art is essential, but for the most part, I'm always looking for a story that drags me in and keeps my attention. Bad art can ruin some stories for me, but I always want something, no matter who's doing the work, that really snags my brain and makes me want more.
                      My Sketch Blog

My DeviantArt

Fair warning, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm going to keep doing it though.

Comment

has to be the penciller...without the nice lines all we have is something rather ridiculous(could be argued that with the nice lines all we have is something rather ridiculous...but still they are nice to look at ).
                        check my deviant page http://selkirk.deviantart.com/

" ....If you are ashamed of buttcracks, you are probably ashamed to be drawing cartoons and shame on you for doing it." ... John K.

Comment

1. Penciller ( The whole art team really )
                          2. Characters
                          3. Writing
                          4. Foil-Stamped-Glow-In-The-Dark-Limited-Edition-Embossed-Cover-Polybagged-With-Scratch&Sniff-Limited-Run-Poster-And/Or-TradingCard.
                          5. Storyline (disregarding all of the above) If I'm really into a storyline I will follow it across a plethora of books.
                          Last edited by InkDrop; 05-24-2011, 05:52 PM.
                          Fresh Droppings | Sketch Blog

Comment

Pretty much buy books based on who's writing them, although I'm more likely to give a new writer a shot if his book's art is done by Alex Roth or Mike Allred.

For me, the art has to be glaringly good or bad to play into the equation.
                            Writing Contest Entries

Comment

If Frank Miller or JRJr is involved
                              DON'T CLICK
                              http://nickguy0320.deviantart.com/
                              http://www.penciljack.com/forum/show...php?71084-Doom
                              I miss when we all drew like Joe MAD and argued about the Matrix

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X