Need your help with my webcomic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Hype!] Need your help with my webcomic

I've been doing a webcomic for the last few years which still only gets a handful of people seeing it on days that it updates. Today, for example, there was a new page, and we've got 13 hits so far. The plan was to do six chapters, and we're three chapters in, but this website costs me a ton of money to keep going and with nobody reading it, it's looking less and less likely that we'll get to the end.

Once I finish chapter three I'm going to throw it up on Kickstarter and see if we can get funding to do chapter four. If not, that'll be it and we'll put the first three chapters in a TPB and call it a day. But with so few people seeing the comic, it's very unlikely that we'll get the money we need to keep it going. I need help getting the word out over the next few weeks, so that we can increase our readership and possibly increase interest in us doing a fourth issue.

All I ask is that you go take a look at the comic, and if you like it, tweet about it or post a link on Facebook, or thumb it up on StumbleUpon, etc. It will take two seconds out of your day and will help us tremendously. If you don't like it, you don't have to do anything at all.

Thanks so much for reading this, even if you don't like the comic.

Here's the blog post I wrote, if you need more info:

Hey everyone, Scott here.

I hope you’re enjoying the comic so far. I’m having a blast drawing it, I love these characters and I wish I could continue drawing them forever.

Buuuuut there’s a problem. Very few people are seeing this comic. On a typical day when we update, we get about 50 unique visitors to the site. Now, that’s awesome, and I’m glad there are 50 people out there that give a shit about our comic, but for a webcomic that’s been around for a decade in one form or another, and for over three years in its current form, 50 visitors on a day when there’s a new comic is almost nothing. We need to get those numbers higher because I literally can’t continue doing this if nobody’s reading.

For the last two years I’ve had a retail job at a hotel gift shop that paid my bills while I spent my time drawing The Sundays and other various projects for free (or close to free). In December of 2012 I quit my job and decided to spend 2013 drawing comics full time. My wife and I are looking to get a house and possibly have a child this year or in early 2014, so the time for me to draw comics for free is over. And so is The Sundays, unless we all do something about it.

The plan right now is to keep doing The Sundays until the end of Chapter Three (the current chapter). It ends in a cliffhanger, which is also the point at which the story begins to get really good. I’ve read the script for all six chapters (at least, the previous version written in 2006, before Kevin started rewriting them for this version), and the end of Chapter Three and beginning of Chapter Four is what got me excited to draw The Sundays as a six-issue miniseries to begin with.

Once Chapter Three is finished, we’re going to use Kickstarter to get funds for Chapter Four. What that means, if you’ve never used Kickstarter, is that we’ll ask for a little bit of money from our readers to get Chapter Four done. A dollar or two would get you a PDF of the finished issue, a few bucks more would get you a paper copy, and maybe a bit more could get you a paper copy and a sketch card or poster. The total we’d be asking for would probably be two or three thousand dollars, which would include a fair pay rate for Kevin to rewrite the script, and a fair rate for me to make Chapter Four my priority for six to eight weeks, to get it done and into your hands as a real comic. But if we don’t make our funding, the comic doesn’t happen, and The Sundays will have ended on a cliffhanger at the end of Chapter Three.

If you want to see what happens to Stuart and Richard, if you want to see us finish this six-issue miniseries, now is the time to spread the word. Post links on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Google+, or however you talk to your friends about comics. Give us a thumbs up or two on StumbleUpon, post a link on Reddit, or if you’re a comic shop owner you can order some copies of the first or second issue to sell in your store.

The main thing is that over the next few weeks, we need to get the readership up. We need to spread the word, with your help, about this comic or it will end and there will not be any more. Please, tell a friend.
    CORKTOWN #1-2 on Comixology

I'm gonna give it a read through, Scott.
    CHECK IT: http://warder120.deviantart.com/

Comment

I was going to say project wonderful is your friend, but it looks like you've been using it. It's very much a spend money to make money thing, though. The writer of my webcomic, (whichcanbefoundat justanothersheep.com ahem) has bought some of the pricier adspace on comics like homestuck and we see decent pageview returns from stuff like that. Replying to each and every comment you recieve'll help viewer retention a lot.

Oh, and join more forums, get a tumblr, comment everywhere you can...be a shill!

That's all I really have, though. I'm surprised to see the comic not getting more attention -- the art is high quality and it's full color. Hopefully the kickstart thing helps.
      Sketch blog
      http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68418

webcomic
      http://www.justanothersheep.com

deviantart
      http://literacysuks1.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jdmakescomics View Post
        I was going to say project wonderful is your friend, but it looks like you've been using it. It's very much a spend money to make money thing, though. The writer of my webcomic, (whichcanbefoundat justanothersheep.com ahem) has bought some of the pricier adspace on comics like homestuck and we see decent pageview returns from stuff like that. Replying to each and every comment you recieve'll help viewer retention a lot.

Oh, and join more forums, get a tumblr, comment everywhere you can...be a shill!

That's all I really have, though. I'm surprised to see the comic not getting more attention -- the art is high quality and it's full color. Hopefully the kickstart thing helps.
        Thanks for replying. Yeah, we use Project Wonderful. We get about 10 hits a day from that, which helps. I just use a campaign which bids on advertising automatically, and I have a budget of $5 a week so we don't show up on any of the heavy-hitters which cost $10-20 a day. Maybe one of these days I'll set aside $10 and buy a leaderboard ad on one of the big sites. That might help.

As far as replying to comments, the last comment we received on our comics was in 2010, so that's not going to help. But we never really got very many comments to begin with. I think we got maybe two or three comments total over the course of the first six months, and then it dropped to zero where it's been for the last three years.

Comment

By the way, this campaign of ours to get people to share the comic is working pretty well. We've got 94 unique visitors today, which is about double the highest number of visitors we've ever received in a single day. But we need more if we want to Kickstart the fourth issue. Any links or tweets you guys can give us helps out a ton.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X