Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequential Artist Needed for Fantasy Project

--re-posted from Sequential Art sub forum (my bad!)--

Hey guys and girls. Haven't posted here in a long time but a lot has happened and much has changed since then. Mice Templar won two awards and I'm working on my own original projects. I'm looking for a collaborator. See below for my blog post "wanted ad".

SEQUENTIAL ARTIST NEEDED FOR FANTASY PROJECT
    By Rod Hannah, on April 5th, 2011

If you are a sequential artist looking for a project and would like the opportunity to work with me, shoot me an email. I have various projects in development, though right now I am ready to start a fantasy project and need a collaborator. This is unpaid and any income would be split between us through royalties.

THE PROJECT:
    This is the story of a dispossessed wood elf who finds herself caught up in the travails of an outlaw band and their self destructive quest to single-handedly put the world right. The characters are three-dimensional, flawed beings who often contradict themselves and misplace their loyalties. The story will blend elements of various cultures as is common among fantasy worlds though rather than a traditional western medieval angle, the humans are a hybrid of Western and Eastern culture with Samurai Knights, so to speak.

THE PURPOSE:
    I am looking at a 22 page comic (in color) which would be treated as a first chapter. The comic would be published both online and in print. The project would be shopped around to various companies both for potential cross-medium development and as a portfolio piece for myself and the artist. Depending on how well the first chapter is received and how the collaboration works out, we will decide whether to continue.

WHAT I NEED:
    If you like Record of Lodoss War that would be a bonus. You will need to be comfortable drawing elves, dark elves, trolls, warlocks, undead, barbarians, exiled imperial samurai, monsters, and perhaps most importantly fantasy landscapes. I need the right enthusiastic and talented artist to collaborate with me and bring this story to life in visual form.

WHY WORK WITH ME?
    I have written for the 2x Harvey Award winning Mice Templar with Mike Oeming and Bryan Glass, and self published Once Upon a Super Hero my creator-owned book. I also write for the 1980s Animation magazine Cereal:Geek and, of course, produce an ongoing Star Wars parody webcomic with my wife, Leanne Hannah called Blue Milk Special. I have many friends in the US-based comics industry which I am more than willing to introduce a good collaborator to. Leanne Hannah, my wife, has illustrated for Tod Dezago’s Perhapanauts, Casper and the Spectrals, several indie titles as well as working with Rob Zombie on his book, “Whatever Happened to Baron Von Shock?” as editor and illustrator. Click here for more about me.

This project would be a great opportunity for an aspiring artist to make some good connections… and who knows? Maybe the book might even sell!

MY PREFERENCES:
    I am currently considering a manga style for this project, however, I will review and consider all portfolios that are submitted to me. This specific project requires a rather serious style of art ie proportions and detail rather than the liberties allowed in a more cartoon style. However, I won’t rule anything out and I am open to trying something different. Please introduce yourself, tell me a little about yourself and show me your latest and most relevant work for this project. I often receive emails from artists who don’t even say anything other than giving me a link to their portfolio. Also, I strongly advise artists to, at minimum, set up a DeviantArt account rather than using Flikr and Photobucket which are unwieldy and unprofessional. Do yourself a favor and get your own blog, website or DeviantArt account. It will give you more polish and make it easier for someone like me to browse through your art.

I’m looking forward to talking to you and seeing your work!

See my site for contact info. Do not use PJ's private message. I'm unlikely to check it regularly.

http://www.rodhannah.com/?p=381

Hey, Rod. Interesting sounding project.

Any timeline/deadline on it?
    My Deviant Art page
    My PUMMEL stats
    PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
    2 Time Heavyweight Champion
    Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Comment

Flexible like Black Cat's bra

Hi Juggertha. Timeline would be decided between myself and the artist. I'm flexible on the deadline so long as I have the right team.

From my first hand experience, if I pay someone and give them a contract with a deadline, I feel I have the right to define the production and expect professionalism, especially if the artist is paying their bills with my project.

THIS particular project is going to be a collaboration because my experiences in the past spending the money has not bought the sort of team I would have hoped for. What I've learned is that money doesn't buy you love. Thanks Beatles! I am therefore looking for guys to team with and help each other. The artist is going to have as much involvement in deciding the deadline as me. For the right person, who believes and cares in the project, I will accommodate.

The best thing is, I find the right people now, and the production process turns out to be a great experience, then I have a team I can confidently recommend to others actively inside the industry and know I'm passing on people I can stand behind... all while writing long run on sentences. LOL

Comment

Sounds like a great project, and someting I'd be interested in. I'm just not able to step into it right now.

Be sure to swing back here if you don't get any bites.
        My Deviant Art page
        My PUMMEL stats
        PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
        2 Time Heavyweight Champion
        Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X