X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Ditko has passed

Rest in Peace, good sir.

Rest in peace
    The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

Comic book creator Graig Weich of BeyondComics.TV struck up a friendship with Ditko over the last year of his life and would visit him in his Manhattan office, where he'd find the legendary creator well-dressed and sporting a beret, as though he had stepped out of the 1940s. Ditko continued to work on his own creations, though he didn't share the details of them with Weich, who recalls Ditko seeming younger than his years.

"He wasn't 90. He seemed like a young, cool artist who happened to have an aged body," Weich tells THR. Weich recalls asking Ditko about his relationship with Lee, and says the artist looked down and told him, "We're peaceful."
      That's the power of doing something you love. Something that doesn't wear you down with stress, other people's stupidity, and make you jaded.

Rest in Peace Mr. Ditko.
      New and improved for 1996!
      Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Ditko was my fork-in-the-road and I took it. Without Sturdy Steve, I don't draw comics. Hail and farewell.
        PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
          Ditko was my fork-in-the-road and I took it. Without Sturdy Steve, I don't draw comics. Hail and farewell.
          Was it just his storytelling talent, or something else that inspired you?

Just asking for the cheap seats, and dummies like myself. He's a fascinating person when you dig into the history of his partnership with the Beige Man at Marvel.
          New and improved for 1996!
          Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilero View Post

Just asking for the cheap seats, and dummies like myself. He's a fascinating person when you dig into the history of his partnership with the Beige Man at Marvel.
            Who is the beige man? I’m unfamiliar with this term.
            The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy.

---Malcolm Forbes

My website

Never .jpeg a .jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilero View Post

I was a Toonhead. Mighty Mouse was my first hero. Popeye, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry. I was already hopelessly addicted to animation when, at age six, Sleeping Beauty rocked my little world. Comics? Comics were stupid. They didn't do anything. They didn't move, they didn't breathe. They just sat there.

Then I discovered Spider-Man and everything I "knew" went out the window. Comics can move. Then came Dr Strange and... well, the Micky Mouse club never had anything like that.
              PaulMartinSmith

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post

I was a Toonhead. Mighty Mouse was my first hero. Popeye, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry. I was already hopelessly addicted to animation when, at age six, Sleeping Beauty rocked my little world. Comics? Comics were stupid. They didn't do anything. They didn't move, they didn't breathe. They just sat there.

Then I discovered Spider-Man and everything I "knew" went out the window. Comics can move. Then came Dr Strange and... well, the Micky Mouse club never had anything like that.
                Ditko was my introduction, at a very young age, to comics as well. My mother had bought me a box set of digest sized Marvel origin books, and there were two volumes of Spider-Man by Ditko. I have to admit, as a young kid, his work was really weird looking to me, especially once I was turned onto the Romita newspaper strips. I didn't truly appreciate it until I was much older. He really was a master.

He lived a long, hopefully happy, life. R.I.P. Steve Ditko.
                Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Comment

An absolutely legendary and unique creative influence.Rest in peace Mr Ditko.
                  Pummel- LHW -W 9-L 4-KO 7

Comment

Steve Ditko was one of comicdom's artists whose work I loved the most. His efforts on Amazing Spider-Man and Doctor Strange really dazzled me. I especially enjoyed Doctor Strange, as we got to see Ditko's fantastic imagination at play. I first discovered Steve's work via Charlton Comics' "Ghost" titles l in the '70s. Books like Ghost Manor, Ghostly Tales, Haunted, Ghostly Haunts, etc. Charlton even did some reprints of his Captain Atom stories, which charmed me right off the bat. I collected Marvel Tales reprints of his Spidey run in the '80s, and I just was blown away by those as well. At a young age I knew that Steve Ditko's work was special, and the more I saw of it, the more I liked it. I loved the way Ditko worked. Ditko would do breakdown style pencils, and then the final details would happened in the inking stage of things, allowing for more energy in the line work. Ditko's storytelling was amongst the best in the business, and I loved that he could tell dramatic stories with complete clarity. I never had to stop to try and figure out what was happening in his panels. It was exiting stuff! Steve Ditko. Jack Kirby. These guys were Marvel's artist mega-talents. I'm beyond sad about Steve Ditko's passing, but no one can live forever. The end of an era is at hand. I know that Ditko's work will always be sought after by fans like me. Luckily, he gave us a lifetime of his efforts to enjoy.
                    http://www.lostonwallace.com
                    http://lostonwallace.deviantart.com

I HAVE A NEW WEBSITE NOW!! FINALLY!! SHOW ME SOME LOVE, & CHECK IT OUT:
                    http://www.lostonwallace.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X