No announcement yet.

Calling it quits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I agree. I never do commissions or hardly do fan art because that stuff is boring to me. If I'm gonna make any money off art it's gonna be selling what I want to draw. It's just if people are wanting to be paid to draw what other people want them to I'm just telling them the options. Waiting for that perfect scenario of someone commissioning you to draw exactly what you like when you aren't a star already seems like a tough and frustrating road.
    YEAOH!!!

Comment

^To truly enjoy something you must do whats in your nature and if it feels right then keep on doing it.

With ART, you will quickly find that out.

Too top it off, people change from decade too decade. I wish I had this knowledge and skill way back then. I would have drawn tons of more crazy random crap.
      My twitter!
      Tumblr blog
      Got a Facebook
      My portfolio

Comment

Hi Pencilero,
        Maybe you could draw other people’s pets. I’m sure there must be a large demand for that.

There’s no copyright worries and you wouldn’t have to worry when people ask how you make money.

Hmmm maybe I could even give it a try...

Comment

I've been working on story pages for my Patreon page and I have to say, I've NEVER had as much fun drawing as I'm having right now. It's amazing how much satisfaction I'm getting from doing work for just me. I'd had fun drawing before, but not like this. The one downside is that I'm upset at myself for not doing this sooner.

So, to anyone thinking about hanging up the pencil/stylus/pen/brush, do art for YOU. Damn the rest.
          Cheers, Alex

Comment

Well, you do what makes you happy.

I hope it works out.

I'm four months without drawing. The urge comes, and I push it down. It helps having a day job that prevents any sort of creative impulse, and facilitates suicidal ideation. I exist to generate money for people. Unfortunately in addition to illustration, I've abandoned job seeking after 20+ months of no success.

Generally, I'm pretty miserable - it's a lousy way to be, but what can you do? I tried to better myself and got nowhere.

So I'm just going to sit here, and no-sell the world for a bit longer. Let people think I'm the monotone curmudgeon they see at the day job, where they ask "When was the last time you cried" as some sort of challenge of my emotion / masculinity, I guess - and the answer is I cry pretty f*cking often, because I feel miserable.

But I guess if people are asking, I should keep up appearances.

The mandate to "Create products" is also stricken from the record. I cannot reasonably spend money I need to be saving on merchandise I cannot sell. Too risky. Risk taking is for people with safety nets.

Probably doesn't help that I work with someone who doesn't need to work, and I just learned yesterday is an heir to a canned goods empire. Must be nice! Just having houses fall into your lap, and not needing to work 40 hours a week (minimum in 2018). . .
            New and improved for 1996!
            Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Originally posted by Pencilero View Post
              Well, you do what makes you happy.

I hope it works out.

I'm four months without drawing. The urge comes, and I push it down. It helps having a day job that prevents any sort of creative impulse, and facilitates suicidal ideation. I exist to generate money for people. Unfortunately in addition to illustration, I've abandoned job seeking after 20+ months of no success.

Generally, I'm pretty miserable - it's a lousy way to be, but what can you do? I tried to better myself and got nowhere.

So I'm just going to sit here, and no-sell the world for a bit longer. Let people think I'm the monotone curmudgeon they see at the day job, where they ask "When was the last time you cried" as some sort of challenge of my emotion / masculinity, I guess - and the answer is I cry pretty f*cking often, because I feel miserable.

But I guess if people are asking, I should keep up appearances.

The mandate to "Create products" is also stricken from the record. I cannot reasonably spend money I need to be saving on merchandise I cannot sell. Too risky. Risk taking is for people with safety nets.

Probably doesn't help that I work with someone who doesn't need to work, and I just learned yesterday is an heir to a canned goods empire. Must be nice! Just having houses fall into your lap, and not needing to work 40 hours a week (minimum in 2018). . .
              You should talk to your doctor about being evaluated for depression. It's no joke. I have a similar soul crushing, no creative outlet job and struggled with the same feelings. My wife encouraged me to ask my doctor who prescribed me something that helps. Doesn't get rid of the feeling of futility but it helps.
              My DeviantART

Comment

I second Vagabondx's comment.
                I saw a doctor about ti myself ages ago. The pills etc, don't know if they helped.
                Talking to people and being active, helped alot. Socialing, exercise and diet were some of the areas they suggest changing.

Most creative people will hit a wall (or five), but it's probably in your veins. So why try and kill it.

Comment

I got to go with VagabondXm on this. That depression you have is not getting any better and its making everything you do 10 times harder. That type of depression you have is radiating and soon people are going to start running.
                  My twitter!
                  Tumblr blog
                  Got a Facebook
                  My portfolio

Comment

I know you like Ted talks. This helped me.

deviantART | instagram | penciljack blog

Comment

A risk with a safety net is not a risk. There's no pressure to succeed because you have something to fall back to. I can understand why that might not be appealing.

I concur with the rest here - see your doctor. If you're depressed there are options for you. I've dealt with depression and debilitating anxiety (to the point my hair started falling out and I had a small heart attack). That was during a time I was actually doing what I loved full time. The stresses get greater, not smaller, as you start doing what you desire, so get yourself mentally healthy before you try to do anything, otherwise you'll end up hurting yourself even worse.
                      Cheers, Alex

Comment

Well, judging by the last bunch of comments, you can clearly see that you are not alone.
                        Creative people can be quite sensitive, emotional etc.

Look after yourself first, then worry about the other things.

Comment

There's actually a scientific reason creatives have issues - bi-polar disorder specifically, but plenty of other issues. The membrane between the hemispheres of the brain is smaller with creatives, giving each hemisphere more time to work on any problem given to the person before a solution is decided upon. This same physiological feature causes greater anxiety and is a common feature found in people with bi-polar disorder. So, yeah, we're frucked.
                          Cheers, Alex

Comment

Originally posted by hadesillustrations View Post
                            I've been working on story pages for my Patreon page and I have to say, I've NEVER had as much fun drawing as I'm having right now. It's amazing how much satisfaction I'm getting from doing work for just me. I'd had fun drawing before, but not like this. The one downside is that I'm upset at myself for not doing this sooner.

So, to anyone thinking about hanging up the pencil/stylus/pen/brush, do art for YOU. Damn the rest.
                            I call that a Bob Ross moment when your free-styling. As Bob Ross said “things automatically happens”. You get those “happy little accidents” when you do your own thing. Let the subconscious move your hand and do the work for you. Make your own kung-fu.
                            My twitter!
                            Tumblr blog
                            Got a Facebook
                            My portfolio

Comment

Put some more thought into a potential patreon. Long picture.

What can I create in the time I have?

How can I maximize the efficiency of what I create?

I'm going to do some research on Patreon to see if there are similar ideas out there and how they are priced.

The goal is to produce limited run material goods (stickers / enamel pins) that will be paid for in advance, that can also be re-purposed (if I learned anything from classic fighting games, it's to recycle, recycle, recycle) as items for general sales. I'll have to check my prices, the last time I made merch like this it was about $1.25 per unit. So $1.25 per unit, plus 50¢ postage, plus 20¢ for the card that they'll be shipped in - not factoring in the time it takes to create the design here, and time to pack orders, but it's being accounted for in my pricing - which will be in the $5 range. This would be for the US only unfortunately due to costs of shipping.

Fingers crossed I can pull this off.

Ay yi yi. . .

I'm going to have to see my doctor for unrelated issues soon. I thought this abdominal discomfort was caused by my switching to taking the stairs at work exclusively, but it's week three now, and it's still there and changing locations. If I had to guess, it's probably gastritis.
                              New and improved for 1996!
                              Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Hi Pencilero,
                                Have you considered producing stickers for IOS? You obviously are tech savvy and this would eliminate production costs.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X