Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time that Penciljack received a rebranding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time that Penciljack received a rebranding?

I think this may have already been discussed in some capacity but is it time that Penciljack were re-branded to accomodate todays technological and media climate?

Penciljack could use a twitter page. Time's have changed and you can learn most things on Youtube now.
    My twitter!
    Tumblr blog
    Got a Facebook
    My portfolio

Comment

I've been working on some things, and have a ton of ideas. What I've realized is - I can't do it by myself. It only took me, what, 19-20 years to figure that out? I'm building a plan to make a plan to put together a plan to plan to make things better around here.
      Terry
      webmaster@penciljack.com

Comment

What type of help do you need? Mainly programming stuff?

Comment

Instagram would be a great showcase for penciljack. I dont use twitter

Comment

Originally posted by WTFdood View Post
            Instagram would be a great showcase for penciljack. I dont use twitter
            The nice thing about hashtags on social media is they can exist across platforms and allow other users to find each other regardless of platform.

Funny, I mentioned this some months ago and was met with the usual resistance.

The question is - what purpose, or benefit is there to the continuation of Penciljack as it stands? It no longer seems to be the developmental team for Kirkman/Skybound books. Community participation is incredibly low - which might have been mitigated by adopting modern tools, so irregular posters could "shout out" the site on social media, and so that other members could find them.

The fundamental question however is - how can Penciljack continue to exist as a platform to aid, and assist illustrators find work? ConceptArt.org, Artstation, Pencilkings, Digital Webbing, Taught By A Pro, there are a ton of art focused platforms out there. As much as I enjoy comics, it seems that clinging to comics slightly held PencilJack back. If you weren't drawing traditional Western comics, or doing your best Cory Walker / Jim Lee / Joe Madurera "studies" here - you could go unnoticed, or be actively discouraged from posting.

Just pointing out issues the site has had as someone who has been here for over a decade, and took a good bit of time off due to the clique that had developed.
            New and improved for 1996!
            Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

I've always wished that penciljack had a publishing aspect. I didn't really cross over to digital webbing, but I always admired them for that part.
              Randy Stone

Comment

Originally posted by Steampunk View Post
                I've always wished that penciljack had a publishing aspect. I didn't really cross over to digital webbing, but I always admired them for that part.
                Publishing how?

Indie books? Not economically viable in most cases. Web comics? You can do that on your own, and you don't need to relinquish creator rights / creative control (see also: Penciljack Universe).

If someone wanted to take charge, then I have participated in anthology self published books on other forums as an example. But those are pure ego stroking. Anthologies are a hard sell. Only the contributors and maybe some of their friends are buying the print copies. These things are crafted by the egos of the parties involved.

At this stage, the site would benefit from being more inclusive of cartooning styles - no more of the rigid 90's era influenced art wank, while discouraging non traditional styles (that's not to say solid fundamentals are not required; but if you're the type of poster who thinks Jim Lee is "de way" and can't see the craft in a Kiyohiko Azuma page then we need to have a serious talk).

Less guess work. More knowledge sharing.

It's going to be tough. There's a ton of outlets out there in 2018...
                New and improved for 1996!
                Instagram: Pencilero

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X