X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "7 No-Nos for Indie Comics Publishers" from Joe St. Pierre

7 No-Nos for Indie Comics Publishers

This was a pretty interesting read.

Here's a run down of the 7 No-Nos, which you should read the article for the full details:

NO-NO #1—Non-#1 Issues
    NO-NO #2—Mini-series
    NO-NO #3—Working on the Series Content While Promoting
    NO-NO #4—Communication with Retailers by Email
    NO-NO #5—Bi-monthly Status
    NO-NO #6—Variant Covers
    NO-NO #7—Doing It All Yourself

There's some solid pointers, and hard truths about how cut throat the comics business is.
    New and improved for 1996!
    Instagram: Pencilero

Read this last night. Pretty disparaging hearing that a comic shops will order 10 copies of #1, sell out 90%, and order 2 copies of #2.
    my deviantart
    SKETCHUMS
    Wins: 29 (34%)
    Losses: 56
    ~end transmisson.

Comment

Originally posted by blamito View Post
      Read this last night. Pretty disparaging hearing that a comic shops will order 10 copies of #1, sell out 90%, and order 2 copies of #2.
      Disparaging, or discouraging?

Sadly that's a common ordering practice.

The easiest test is to compare how many copies of a deep cut indie book you have on your pull list your LCS has on the shelf. Most shops will not carry more than the one for special orders.

Comment

It was even like that for a lot of those low key Marvel and DC books back when I used to hit up the LCS years ago. I disagree though about the mini series point. A indie GN can just fade away. Not to mention it's price point would usually be too high for anyone who doesn't already know the creative team. While a mini series can keep showing up in your face. I've seen this guy's book on Comixology and I even bought the first issue because it was only 1.99. I didn't care for it but if I did I'd have probably bought the other issues as they kept coming out periodically for 2.99(that's how much they were digitally, in print they are 3.50) or at least kept them in mind until they dropped in price. Even someone who ignored the first issue might find another issue's cover appealing, look at some of the contents and seek out the previous issues. and buy 3-4 issues right there and add his preorder for the 5th.

And a side note, this is why I love digital so much. I get a full selection of what's coming out each week instead of having to do due diligence and research books, make notes, make sure I ask the LCS owner to get this book, make SURE he gets it, then if super indie book doesn't show up I have to be all behind while I wait for them to order it, etc. If it wasn't for digital I'd probably have never heard most of the indie books I buy and I used to be a dude on the lookout for new stuff. Now I can see, Oh Head Lopper has a 90 page magazine coming out and forget about it until release day, see it on the site and buy it. Back in the old days I'd havw to get some code, give it to my inept but nice LCS dudes who didn't even know how to use the codes, wait 3 months and be disappointed because I was the only one ordering Head Lopper and they forgot to order it.
        Last edited by Johnny Blaque; 10-19-2015, 06:57 AM. Reason: sorry for the rambling, about to go to bed.
        YEAOH!!!

Comment

Eurgh... more than ever, I'm thinkin' that if you're an indie publishing in the 32-page floppy format with the LCS as your primary means of distribution, you're doing it for nostalgia and not because it's the best way to get your work out to the widest audience, or the best way to earn a return on the work financially.
          ONLINE PORTFOLIO
          DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Comment

Absolutely agree on digital as a customer, and as a content creator.

I also dig the price drops on titles if you let them sit, it's a nice bonus for folks like me who wait to buy. I'll just add books to my wish list and wait for prices to drop.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X