$300 a page pencils and inks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $300 a page pencils and inks

During the Inkpulp Podcast Panel at HeroesCon over the weekend hosted by Shawn Crystal featuring Sean Gordon Murphy, Eric Canete, Dan Panosian, and Matteo Scalera, Canete stressed the importance of number crunching. He also said the going big two page rate was $300 per page completed inked art ready to be colored.

Obviously this is ballpark generic starting point, but for anyone who aspires to actually draw the capes and tights variety for Marvel or DC, well there you go. I have pics and some audio from this panel in particular, but if this post is of ANY interest to you at all, I highly recommend you subscribe to the Inkpulp Podcast and hear the panel whenever its officially posted.

http://kinchbykinch.blogspot.com/
    http://vrblknch.deviantart.com/
    VRBLARTWERKS on INSTAGRAM
    like my lines and my reference models loose

This makes me despise the leeches that are milking free comic work out of people even more.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Comment

Hmm - that's more than I thought.
      Mod
      Writer/Artist: Urban Shogun

Sketches | DA Gallery

Urban Shogun #3 is now available!

Comment

About what I thought it would be for the big publishers.

Having said that, this is Marvel and DC. Virtually everyone has to start out somewhere and if you are expecting that out of independents or self publishers, you are in for an awakening.
        See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
        DeviantArt

Comment

Originally posted by dfbovey View Post
          About what I thought it would be for the big publishers.

Having said that, this is Marvel and DC. Virtually everyone has to start out somewhere and if you are expecting that out of independents or self publishers, you are in for an awakening.
          $100/page is what I've heard smaller press pay per page. Working for free though is in my mind inexcusable. If you're going to draw comics for free at least self-publish.
          I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
          my sketchbook

Comment

Originally posted by MLaw View Post
            $100/page is what I've heard smaller press pay per page. Working for free though is in my mind inexcusable. If you're going to draw comics for free at least self-publish.
            Everyone has a different situation. My first published work over a decade ago wasn't for pay. And my skill at that time wasn't worthy of pay. Neither was the writer who wrote the thing. But it's the type of thing that gives you experience, and experience earned works you up to getting those page rates. For anyone just starting out, it's to their benefit to collaborate, get their names in published credits and get experience... most importantly to show a work ethic. Whether it's working on their own projects or teaming up with other amateurs.
            DeviantArt

Comment

Everyone has a different situation. My first published work over a decade ago wasn't for pay. And my skill at that time wasn't worthy of pay. Neither was the writer who wrote the thing. But it's the type of thing that gives you experience, and experience earned works you up to getting those page rates. For anyone just starting out, it's to their benefit to collaborate, get their names in published credits and get experience... most importantly to show a work ethic. Whether it's working on their own projects or teaming up with other amateurs.
              Doing amateur fun projects is one thing. There are literally people that are getting inexperienced artists to work for them for free, and then they are selling the books. If it's just guys doing it for fun cool but if someone is profiting from your work then you deserve to get paid too, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks of your skill level. You don't tell the guy who is not experienced enough at roofing that he doesn't get paid since he can only handle supplies and help carry shingles do you?

my deviantart
              my sketchbook

Comment

Doing amateur fun projects is one thing. There are literally people that are getting inexperienced artists to work for them for free, and then they are selling the books. If it's just guys doing it for fun cool but if someone is profiting from your work then you deserve to get paid too, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks of your skill level. You don't tell the guy who is not experienced enough at roofing that he doesn't get paid since he can only handle supplies and help carry shingles do you?
                I wouldn't hire a guy with no experience to put a new roof on my house. I can tell you that much.

I consider my first published work, which I didn't get paid for, as an internship. And a sacrifice. You won't get paid in this industry unless you have a proven track record. Publishers aren't going to hire someone off the streets who haven't shown they can meet a monthly deadline.

In an ideal world everyone would be getting paid regardless. But that's not the real world and never will be the real world. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to set yourself up for the future. And companies are going to be unwilling to hitch their success or failure to someone with no experience or track record.
                DeviantArt

Comment

Having said that, when you are first getting started, it's important you pick the right projects and right people to hitch yourself to.
                  DeviantArt

Comment

I wouldn't hire a guy with no experience to put a new roof on my house. I can tell you that much.

I consider my first published work, which I didn't get paid for, as an internship. And a sacrifice. You won't get paid in this industry unless you have a proven track record. Publishers aren't going to hire someone off the streets who haven't shown they can meet a monthly deadline.

In an ideal world everyone would be getting paid regardless. But that's not the real world and never will be the real world. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to set yourself up for the future. And companies are going to be unwilling to hitch their success or failure to someone with no experience or track record.
                    I think you're missing the point. The publisher's entire business model is set up around free labor. All of it. Some aren't that great of course (probably most) but others are running entire side businesses off of other people's art... they literally have no paid artists on staff at all, yet have monthly publications or graphic novel anthologies. Not only are the artists getting screwed (the opportunity is not really even worth listing in most cases and there is little learning experience) but other artists like you or whoever else IS to a point where they "should" get paid are not getting those jobs because that guy would rather get his work for free. There are a number of other problems this creates for the creative industry and the economy more than just "some new artists aren't getting paid".

As for the roofing example... I don't think you understand how roofing works.. it almost always involves a crew and they almost always have someone who is learning, whose job is to handle the menial work while learning the more involved parts of the craft.

my deviantart
                    my sketchbook

Comment

1- The point I'm making is that people have to start off somewhere if they plan on having a career in the comicbook industry. And that often equates to them working for no pay or very little pay to start off, either with legit aspiring writers who plan to self publish, working on your own project or agreeing to work for little or no pay for a company just to get experience while racking up published credits. You are arguing with me it seems thinking that people with no experience are automatically deserving of pay. Which is fantasyland.

I understand that there are predatory publishers out there that could pay rates and don't. Which is why I said it's important to pick the right avenue.

2- You made the analogy to roofers. It's not a particularly good analogy since a single freelance artist is not a crew. A guy who has no professional experience isn't going to be working in tandem with an experienced penciler who can take up their slack or teach them along the way. You are on your own as a freelance illustrator. By using the roofing analogy, should I make the assumption that you don't know how freelance illustration works?
                      DeviantArt

Comment

I think you're missing the point. The publisher's entire business model is set up around free labor. All of it. Some aren't that great of course (probably most) but others are running entire side businesses off of other people's art... they literally have no paid artists on staff at all, yet have monthly publications or graphic novel anthologies.
                        *shrugs* Free comic work is the "Casting Couch" of the comic industry. Most of us have done it, back when we were young and inexperienced. Artist who work for free probably aren't that good. Publications that use free labor aren't making a lot of money, because the quality is low. It all balances out in the end.
                        Mod
                        Writer/Artist: Urban Shogun

Sketches | DA Gallery

Urban Shogun #3 is now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Mase View Post
                          *shrugs* Free comic work is the "Casting Couch" of the comic industry. Most of us have done it, back when we were young and inexperienced. Artist who work for free probably aren't that good. Publications that use free labor aren't making a lot of money, because the quality is low. It all balances out in the end.
                          Exactly. My point is that it's merely a stepping stone to move on to bigger and better things. Because while everyone wants to make as much as possible. It's a catch 22 because the big publishers, or even the independent ones who offer ok rates... won't hire you fresh off the street 99% of the time. Paying dues sucks. But it's a necessary evil for most.
                          DeviantArt

Comment

I'm not trying to argue this, and clearly we agree that the specific ones that I am talking about are predatory. If Marvel called me up and said, hey draw some issues of My Little Pony, I would probably be okay with it without pay (well.. maybe not for My Little Pony but just about anything else). I'm really just trying to say that predatory exploitation of naive artists is wrong and people need to be cautious and make sure that when they DO work for free that it is for a very good reason.

That being said, at what point IS someone good enough to start getting paid? When they can draw like Jim Lee and crank out 2 pages a day? Portacio and Liefeld still can't draw and those guys are getting paid. Is it by how long you've been drawing? I am 32 and have been "drawing" since I was 6..but didn't start paying attention to anatomy or sequential storytelling until like 2 years ago or less. Is it by how many published issues they have? I really am not trying to argue.. I am newer to the business side of this than the story telling and really don't understand a lot of the stuff that is expected or considered the norm, since before this I worked doing 3d where you DO get paid even if you're mediocre to poor at best. A lot of this is culture shock to me. If my tone sounds argumentative it's really really really not meant to.. this is me being inquisitive.

my deviantart
                            my sketchbook

Comment

Originally posted by Mase View Post
                              Yeap, petty much this, and it is true in all the different branches of the art industry.

I have some experience in the Illustration world, and i can testify that there are a lot of artists that work for free or almost for free - mostly because their skills are not good enough to get them into the big companies.
                              Unfortunately, often they are getting stuck on that low skill level, working for smaller publishers for years and years.

One also must remember that there are people who do not live in the west but come from poorer countries where a single 1$ may worth 10 in their local currency - for them it would be perfectly reasonable to work for what people in the west would consider inappropriate wages.

Moreover, a lot of young artists tend to underestimate themselves/their skills and tend to have little confidence in managing their business - this can potentially lead to not asking for a proper compensation for their work.

These are my 2 cents,
                              Cheers,
                              Fallen.

Open for commissions and work....PM me.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X