Best "dead-weight line" inkers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "dead-weight line" inkers.

So, who are the best inkers (or artists, as I think most of the guys who do this pencil and ink) who use a dead-weight line? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Mignola, Eduardo Risso, Carlos Meglia on some of his stuff. And of course, a lot of Toth's later stuff.

Honestly, I'm just trying to get the names of good dead-weight inkers I don't know about.
    http://www.brandonpalas.com

I love Dead weight Line inkers.

It's used allot by european artists like Moebius.

My favorite is Jason Pearson when he inks his own stuff.

There is also Andy Khun.

Some Japanese artists like Akira Toriyama

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Comment

Geof Darrow
      See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
      DeviantArt

Comment

Please explain what a dead-weight line inker is.

I'm totally in the dark.
        Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

I'm assuming constant or near constant line width.
          See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
          DeviantArt

Comment

When Humberto Ramos inks his own stuff he uses the dead line.

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” ― Andy Warhol

Comment

Originally posted by dfbovey View Post
              I'm assuming constant or near constant line width.
              Ah. Cool.

I'm gonna back your Darrow suggestion then
              Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

gabriel ba
                INSTRUMENTAL GRAPHIC NOVEL + SOUNDTRACK now available!
                CLICK HERE

Comment

Now that I think about it all Deadline inkers are artists that ink themselves.

There really is no Deadline inker that uses the deadline as a technique..

Comment

Hmm, the Ramos' Planet Hulk piece has varying line weights imo. I would put Moebius and Geoff Darrow at the top of the list but I also love Sean Galloway's uniform lines. Probably the most truest of the 'deadline' technique.

Comment

Hmm, the Ramos' Planet Hulk piece has varying line weights imo
                      They all do, even Darrow and Moebius vary there line thickness...

Usually deadline inkers are pen inkers. They have about 3 pens they switch between ,and don't vary off those line weights.

Comment

I don't know if I'd consider it a "dead" line-weight... I think it's more the difference in whether you used a mech pen to ink or a brush/quill.

And the correct answer is Matt Howarth, you philistines.

http://www.matthowarth.com/
                        ONLINE PORTFOLIO
                        DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Comment

These are examples of uniform thickness. At least my understanding of the term. I know Moebius and Darrow have varied it over the course of their careers.

Comment

I don't know if I'd consider it a "dead" line-weight... I think it's more the difference in whether you used a mech pen to ink or a brush/quill.
                            Although it is true that most dead line inkers are pen users, you can achieve a deadline off a brush/quill just like a pen user can achieve brush like quality with a pen.

I'm not sure why you would want to get the deadline effect off a brush, or quill tho lol

The question that should be asked is why it is used at all??

For the most part line is shadow dictated by your light source's, so thin uniform lines are produced when the light source is very strong in an area.

The other technique for uniform lines is to trap color like a frame. You render light, shadow, and textures in color.

This usually produces a very open image, that is excellent for color work. It's a very common technique when people produce coloring books etc..

Animators use uniform lines when inking to keep continuity between frames. They also know all there render work will be done in color.
                            Last edited by 50%grey; 06-12-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 50%grey View Post
                              Now that I think about it all Deadline inkers are artists that ink themselves.

There really is no Deadline inker that uses the deadline as a technique..
                              If you don't count the spotted blacks, Gerry Alanguilan on Leinil Yu falls under this category.
                              YEAOH!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X