Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Work or Traditional? Sequentials or Pinups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Work or Traditional? Sequentials or Pinups?

Manji (thats me not Pop) started this thread and merged posts to it.

Ok a PUMMEL match sparked this discussion and instead of having the thread of two great entries overrun with that discussion I decided to start a thread here. So that everyone can have their say and hopefully agree to disagree, changes a few minds or send me money. Whichever is good by me.

So the topic is what is more labor intentsive and possibly even requires more skill? Digital or Traditional? Sequentials or Pinups?

Discuss.

By the way I have merged some of the comments from the derailed PUMMEL thread starting below.

Originally posted by N.O.D. View Post
    Voters in this, and other Heavyweight bouts this month, seem to be overly impressed by pencil rendering. I'm assuming this stems from being big mainstream North American comics fans, I don't know.
    You don't know? Then let me tell you why. It's quite simple. Those of us who pencil and are trying to improve our skills at pencilling, recognize what goes into a piece like the one Kris did for this round. It takes serious WORK. When I say "work," I'm talking about physically sitting down(or maybe standing) and using your hand to draw. And those of us who have seen guys who can do a little bit of line work and then brush some color over it know that it's less actual hand work. It may actually take more time, but we know that it's not the same as physically toiling over a piece of art. No matter how great the sequential is in terms of storytelling, I can look at what Kris did and KNOW because I do it everyday myself, that he put some serious hand work into his piece.

It really is that simple. Had Krikkit done his "Bovey-style," and had painted it by hand, this would be a whole other ballgame. As it is, I personally admire when hard work goes into a piece of art. And the hard work shows in Kris's piece.

Sorry Krikkit. As much as Kris is taking heat, I'm sort of throwing some your way. Yours is by no means mediocre, but it doesn't hit me the way Kris's does.
    Last edited by Manji; 09-23-2009, 11:54 AM.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Wow, Popninja. I didn't know that when you color something on the computer it's actually all done by robots and your hands don't need to touch a mouse or tablet or anything. That's amazing. I'd totally be digitally coloring more stuff if I knew this.
    Sketch blog
    http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68418

webcomic
    http://www.justanothersheep.com

deviantart
    http://literacysuks1.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Popninja View Post
      You don't know? Then let me tell you why. It's quite simple. Those of us who pencil and are trying to improve our skills at pencilling, recognize what goes into a piece like the one Kris did for this round. It takes serious WORK. When I say "work," I'm talking about physically sitting down(or maybe standing) and using your hand to draw. And those of us who have seen guys who can do a little bit of line work and then brush some color over it know that it's less actual hand work. It may actually take more time, but we know that it's not the same as physically toiling over a piece of art. No matter how great the sequential is in terms of storytelling, I can look at what Kris did and KNOW because I do it everyday myself, that he put some serious hand work into his piece.
      wow....i thought better of you than that. As someone who has worked both digitally and "physically sat down and used my hand to draw" , I couldn't disagree more. Different mediums should not take away from the hard work that BOTH krikkit and kris did.

I voted Krikkit because I felt that Kris' background work was leagues behind what he did with the foreground. that little running guy in the bg is such a turn off for me.
      Raised as a babe in drawing arenas to become the art warrior that I am today.

http://gunkstudios.tumblr.com/

Pummel: lightheavy weight rank- wins-27 losses-20 KO-11

Comment

Originally posted by Popninja View Post
        Those of us who pencil and are trying to improve our skills at pencilling, recognize what goes into a piece like the one Kris did for this round. It takes serious WORK. When I say "work," I'm talking about physically sitting down(or maybe standing) and using your hand to draw. And those of us who have seen guys who can do a little bit of line work and then brush some color over it know that it's less actual hand work. It may actually take more time, but we know that it's not the same as physically toiling over a piece of art. No matter how great the sequential is in terms of storytelling, I can look at what Kris did and KNOW because I do it everyday myself, that he put some serious hand work into his piece.

It really is that simple. Had Krikkit done his "Bovey-style," and had painted it by hand, this would be a whole other ballgame. As it is, I personally admire when hard work goes into a piece of art. And the hard work shows in Kris's piece.
        I'll stay out of the Kris vs Krikkit debate -- but I've got to comment on your words, Pop.

They really DO strike me as being massively ignorant.

Do you really believe what you've said?

Or were you just having a bad day?
        Successful kickstarter UPDATE PAGE

Comment

Digital Work or Traditional? Which is more laborious?

I don't have the energy to post anything right now aside from let's just keep it civil and remember don't give someone negative rep just because you disagree.

If they are being an ass sure but otherwise it's just not cool. Thanks
          Last edited by Manji; 09-23-2009, 11:38 AM.
          FB | DA | TUMBLR | INSTAGRAM

Comment

Neither. They are tools. They are as simple or difficult as you have the skill to make them. The results of one are preferable to the other only as a matter of opinion. Both have unique challenges and require some different skills, but I think it's essentially a pointless debate.

Comment

I do think sequentials are generally more difficult than pinups, however. That whole storytelling thing, y'know, if you're into that.

Comment

Originally posted by starkoryan81 View Post
                Neither. They are tools. They are as simple or difficult as you have the skill to make them. The results of one are preferable to the other only as a matter of opinion. Both have unique challenges and require some different skills, but I think it's essentially a pointless debate.

i totally agree.

just over a year ago, steve downer came up with this shirt design:

his thread about it here: link

and i totally agree with him. coloring digitally is simply not that easy, if it was, everyone would be doing it, and doing it well. but as we've all seen here on these boards, as long as you leave the break room, not everyone can.

personally i think this a completely ridiculous argument.
                OBEY THE ROBOT HEAD

NOW ON TWITTER

www.natelovett.com
                my deviantart page

Comment

Art is difficult. Wear a helmet.

http://www.lostonwallace.com
                  http://lostonwallace.deviantart.com

I HAVE A NEW WEBSITE NOW!! FINALLY!! SHOW ME SOME LOVE, & CHECK IT OUT:
                  http://www.lostonwallace.com

Comment

LOL @ "Bovey-style". It's really funny to me how trends fluxuate. About 5 years ago I'd say that cartoony work was the hardest thing for me to compete with in draw offs... Because my type of style wasn't very popular. Now it at least seems respected or trends might had leaned my way here. But I don't know. I don't pay attention to it. I just draw what feels natural to me.

Personally, its about quality. I've seen bad colors ruin good linework and I've seen great colors salvage flawed linework. But for me the only thing that matters is how the illustration works as a whole.

I have no problems voting for a black and white piece over something in color. I don't have a preferrence.

as far as pinups go, I think the best pin ups also should have good storytelling.As for pin-ups competing against pages of sequential art in draw offs, it is apples and oranges and difficult to judge. Not sure if it needs to be addressed.
                    See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
                    DeviantArt

Comment

I think it takes hard work to become good at anything. Some people have natural gifts, but they still have to spend a lifetime honing their craft whether they use digital or traditional tools.

Some people are probably naturally more apt in one or the other. I never took to digital because I prefer getting my hands dirty. I also didn't have a computer at my grandmothers kitchen table when I was 8 with photoshop installed. Had plenty of plain white paper though. If I was born 10-15 years later, maybe it would have been different.

Its not the way I like to work, but I still appreciate the level of skill it takes to work digitally.
                      See my work on Game of Thrones seasons two, three and four blurays
                      DeviantArt

Comment

see i'm just the opposite dave. i've done plenty of traditional painting and inking in my time, and though i miss it on occasion, i hate the mess and clean up it requires. so i tend to do things digitally.

i have taken to doing some color work traditionally lately though, but i've been sticking to markers and colored pencils. a lot less clean up required there.
                        OBEY THE ROBOT HEAD

NOW ON TWITTER

www.natelovett.com
                        my deviantart page

Comment

Whoa pop, I know you gotta more sense than that.

Traditional or Digital doesn't make either one easier. They're both just mediums. I've spent four years doing d-pencilling and inking on top of doing it traditional. I've contacted lots of digitial comic and fantasy artists for advice too, but its not like there's a photoshop filter to draw a sequential or a pin up.

You still gotta know how to do it in the first place.
                          They both have their pros and minuses.

A good Pinup is like a one panel comic. They still have story, composition, technique etc.

I went with Kris there cos he did all that. Krikkit just told a standard story here. I've seen him do some stuff that made me go wow. Kris did that here. It wasn't the graphite of the pencil that made me go wow, it was Kris's vision for the piece and executing it in style.

I see no problem with a pin up vs sequential. I've even competed on those terms and thought it was fair. No one else seemed to care either.

If anything, its that both artists bought it so well, they're looking for an excuse to justify how they can go with one side.
                          dA | PJ Sketchblog

I want to be the man who can draw so many things, so well and in so many different ways.

Comment

I know my strengths and weaknesses. I'm a penciller first and foremost. I also have limited time. Recently I acquired a brush pen that has made me more comfortable inking finished work, but really, everyone should expect a pencilled pin-up from me for any draw-off I'm in. I have never felt as though I was at a disadvantage when facing artists using other mediums or ones who presented sequentials. In fact, the draw-offs where I felt most insecure about victory were vs Keith and gobl1n because they work in the same pencil/pin-up format. All art takes talent and I have a deep respect for all aspects of it, especially art pertaining to comics. I do what I do because I like it. I might find that I love digital painting as soon as I get a tablet, but there's no pressing desire yet. Still, my love for inking didn't start until I bought the right tool for the job. The fact is that people using other mediums are usually playing to their strengths, the same way I play to mine. This should be encouraged! Work on weaknesses in your downtime, but for competitions do what you know you're good at.
                            Cheers, Alex

Comment

Sequentials are harder than doing pin-ups. Thats a fact.

On the other subject... One isnt better than the other.
                              Last edited by Huerta; 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM.
                              SOVEREIGN: The Return vol. 1 is now live on kickstarter. Please support or spread the word https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...raphic-novel-0

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X