No announcement yet.

Pummel October 2020 - Monster Mania - Due October 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Elliot! I'm really excited to be a part of it, I always found the idea of Pummel pretty intimidating and didn't feel like I could reach that level of artwork quality, it still seems to me like a place for the veteran and more experienced artists of PJ. I've been feeling more confident lately though so I thought I would give it a shot

Comment

Quick question about the rules and conditions of creating a piece. Are we allowed to use reference at all? I am talking about images for how an existing character should look like (clothes, suit, physique etc) and reference pics for background objects like buildings and all that. Or does it have to come solely from memory/improvisation?

Comment

Originally posted by Nanashi View Post
        Quick question about the rules and conditions of creating a piece. Are we allowed to use reference at all? I am talking about images for how an existing character should look like (clothes, suit, physique etc) and reference pics for background objects like buildings and all that. Or does it have to come solely from memory/improvisation?
        Using reference, imo, is always encouraged. I would caution against direct swiping, to the point where someone can bring up the image that you directly swiped. We're in the age where it's virtually impossible to pass something off as your own when the original image is available on the world wide web.
        Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Comment

I'm even OK with closely following photo reference (but not tracing) that you have permission to use that way, such as the Art Models series of books or pose sets on Deviant Art where the models and/or photographers give license to use their photos that way. Outside of comics, most professional figurative artists take photo reference and closely follow those photos. And even some comics artists have the time to do that. We amateurs and independent artist don't usually have the resources to hire models.

Just don't closely follow reference you got from a Google Image search or other source that you don't have permission to make a close likeness of their work. And please don't trace anything but your own work (like a preliminary draft).
          Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Thank you for the answers pell and popninja! I always take photos of myself for reference so it's good to know I can use that alongside other reference material.

Comment

I just want to clarify that the composition of the illustration should be your own. After designing and composing your illustration, you can find reference for the individual elements to help you depict how a figure or a car looks from a particular angle in a particular kind of lighting. Copying the compositing of a photograph would be a violation of "do your own work" even if you had permission from the photographer, unless you were the photographer and composed it yourself. This is why we usually disallow homages in Pummel. Someone else did the composition work for you, which is arguably the most important element of an illustration.
              Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Got it, thank you for clarifying that.

Comment

Thanks Elliot! I'm really excited to be a part of it, I always found the idea of Pummel pretty intimidating and didn't feel like I could reach that level of artwork quality, it still seems to me like a place for the veteran and more experienced artists of PJ. I've been feeling more confident lately though so I thought I would give it a shot
                  Yeah man, definitely! This side of PencilJack has always been a highlight for me. The artwork that you'll see here is great and the competitive aspect will push you to be more and more creative as time passes. No matter the skill-level that someone may be at, I think PUMMEL will benefit anyone who's interested in learning more about drawing. It's great, you won't regret it!
                  https://www.deviantart.com/nygma85

Comment

Submitting early as I will be busy this weekend. From my favorite movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Maulsmash View Post
                      Submitting early as I will be busy this weekend. From my favorite movie.
                      I love this movie! Great Piece!
                      My deviantart

Comment

Excellent piece Maulsmash !!!

Comment

I didn't know what to draw, so I drew the Violator. I hope it counts, lol.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys

Comment

Wanted to draw Man-Bat so I thought I would make him face a darker version of Batman. In my head he's the good guy in this, trying to find a way to help his friend by restoring Bruce's humanity.

http://

Comment

Wanted to draw Man-Bat so I thought I would make him face a darker version of Batman. In my head he's the good guy in this, trying to find a way to help his friend by restoring Bruce's humanity.

http://
                                Nice! Is that ink wash?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X