Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has PUMMEL seen low points like this before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has PUMMEL seen low points like this before?

I've only been here a few years but I can't remember ever seeing such a low number of participants. Any of the elders remember similar droughts?
    Last edited by VagabondX; 04-27-2016, 11:36 PM. Reason: Better wording to avoid offense.
    My DeviantART

It's been happening in other forums also. This one seems to have held out a bit longer.
    Jack Kirby Centennial Tribute Book is free to download.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith - Action, Belief and Confidence

Comment

This has been the worst it's been. Hell we used to get like 50 replies in the first day for a thread like this. I think lack of new blood, PJERS not happy with rules that came into effect, etc., really thinned out the ranks.

My vote would be to have another talent search( promoting on DevArt, other sites, even different parts of PJ, etc.) Like we did a couple of years ago and then just rebooting the whole thing.

Although I have a feeling that the PJ mods are talking about how to address the problem.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
      Raised as a babe in drawing arenas to become the art warrior that I am today.

http://gunkstudios.tumblr.com/

Pummel: lightheavy weight rank- wins-27 losses-20 KO-11

Comment

These are all completely my own feelings and opinions here...

a) I would have come back from hiatus sooner, but every time I was like okay, maybe this month, I'd drop by the Pummel board and there'd be yet another fight over rules going on.

b) The rankings are all medium or lightweight now. I think if you do manage to round up some real pro contenders, the classes should all be dropped one, everyone can reweigh in, maybe in a massive free-for-all bout, and Heavyweight can be heavyweight again.

c) I feel like I had 3 or 4 no shows (or at least last minute attempts) come up against me in a row at one point. It made me not want to try real hard the next month, which is my own problem I know, but still it's disheartening all the same. I may as well be drawing my own stuff, which is what I'm doing now.

d) It just eats up the month! Some people have the time to work on it all month, others have full time jobs. I think personally, I'd do better with the monthly competition if the deadline was only a week from the topic announcement. But that's mostly just me, and how my obsessive mind operates.

e)This isn't a rule you could really enforce, but more open-ended, thematic topics are always fun. Drawing some licensed character can be a blast for the chooser, but sometimes not so much for the opponent if they don't have the same tastes.

I hope nobody specific is offended by me thinking that Heavyweights aren't what they used to be, I know it takes a lot of work to get up the ranks. But... it just isn't the same as it was, even a year ago. I think new blood and a reboot are the way to go. It needs to be fun and exciting and challenging, especially since there's no tangible prize, but no-shows and bickering over rules are neither
        Last edited by rmharris; 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM. Reason: typo
        PJ Sketchblog | caperandcrow.tumblr.com | Instagram
        *Commissions are open!*
        Pummel Stats: LHW: KO-4/W-3/L-0 ~~ HW: KO-0/W-2/L-0 ~~ SF: KO-1/W-0/L-2

Comment

I personally feel like the weigh-in system is flawed. i see several artists in middleweight that should be light-heavy and vice versa. It would be nice to see more heavyweights, but the people in that tier are close to pro if not already and don't have the time to compete which is understandable. i joined again to give myself a reason to draw every month, but it feels shallow to me.

i had a blast last summer with Summer Slaughter, where everyone had their own characters and we got to draw other peoples characters as well. Talent took a back seat to creativity and it was a lot more fun.
          Doodle Blog

Comment

I agree about bickering and rules/system type politics being one factor. That's all secondary though and symptomatic of a larger issue. I remember when matches felt like matches. There was tension and there was direction. Some of the more vocal personalities were part of the draw. Granted.. some of those personalities were the source of part of the drama but a lot of those people brought a lot of life to what is otherwise a playground dance off and turned it into UFC. Another thing is nobody is on break (I think).. so as was mentioned, free time is a luxury most don't have.

TL/DR - We need a face/mouthpiece and we need to advertise.

I will say (and this is directed at a notion I'm seeing repeated and not a specific person or people).. if it feels like a chore. If it feels like you're sacrificing your free time where you would be doing something you love instead of drawing, then your mindset might be different from people who love drawing and don't see it as free time in the first place.
            I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
            my sketchbook

Comment

This IS a chore for me, and I LOVE it. Hell, I NEED that some times!

I've been struggling for 4 years to get out of Middleweight division and I'm just one Championship win from doing so... Boy I'd be pretty discouraged if I were to be "readjusted" back to Middies right after I moved up

That said, for the good of the forum, I'd totally do it. But I want a compensation beer to cry into.

I'd almost recommend changing the names of the ranks, instead of "throwing people back to Middleweight" maybe it's time to abandon those terms and reassess. (This is an example, NOT a recommended set of names): for example, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel or something similar.

Then have everyone in one big fight for, let's say, June. We all have to draw the same thing, something relatively normal and not too taxing, let's say Pikachu (Again, an example), no sequentials. Then we all vote on the pictures that were made as a site-wide vote. Everyone against everyone. Perhaps allow more than one vote (I'd have to think about the positive/negative on that), then when it's all over, we assign ranks by votes, spread over the entire site. In the case of a tie, our old ranks establish where we are on the ladder (If you were a Middie before and ranked #10 and someone else got the same number of votes but was a LHW #4, then you'd be ranked below them).

Then change the names of the ranks. Hell, we could still use the same terminology, there were a TON of class types in boxing:

Pinweight, Flyweight, Bantamweight, Welterweight, Cruiserweight, Super-heavyweight
              --------------------------------------------
              MW (2nd): W:28 (Reg:15,KO:13,Title Wins:2), L:17
              dA ---- Tamerlane
              PUMMEL Record

Comment

Not gonna front. Im a big fcukin procrastinator. This quality brings down the site whether you love art or if its a hobby. So, I wouldnt mind if PUMMEL had a 2 week turnaround. The initial excitement of a topic fizzles out if you dont have to start right away.

Comment

To address the weigh in system, perhaps a percentage system for wins: For example, now we have a KO system, if more than 50% of your wins are KOs, then you move 2 spaces or 3 spaces up the ladder.

Or if you win by more than 50% or something like that... perhaps we set it up that for every 25% you win by, you jump a rank. I'm totally brainstorming here, don't get hooked up on the numbers.

Everyone starts at the bottom of the entire ladder, but you could easily move up FAST. Since we don't get new blood that often, it wouldn't be like these "rockets" would be blasting through all the time, just every so often.

And at some point, they'd hit equilibrium, the place where they need to push harder to move up a level.
                  MW (2nd): W:28 (Reg:15,KO:13,Title Wins:2), L:17
                  dA ---- Tamerlane
                  PUMMEL Record

Comment

Yeah... I don't think making anything more complicated is going to do us any favors.

DIS - I dunno.. I use the pressure to push myself. Usually the first week or so is just wasted on getting everyone checked in and figuring out the topic. A lot of people talk about how little time they have to work on stuff.. cutting that in half will probably push those folks away.

Now to put my foot in my mouth about saying things shouldn't get more complicated.
                    If they're going to break anything down.. going to a single ladder and doing tiered pyramid style challenges would make sense. Pyramid ladder is top rank and rank 2 and 3 form the top triangle. Then it expands from there with each person having 2 potential competitors. You can only challenge the person over you or anyone on your current tier. So if you know you probably won't beat the person over you, you can challenge someone else on your current level to force a spot swap (if you win). Losing a same level match does not cause a drop in level.. just a swap. You can only challenge once a month and you may only receive one challenge a month.

We ran a wargaming league like this a while back. We used key rings with challenger names to do the challenges and it was pretty interesting.
                    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
                    my sketchbook

Comment

We've never seen numbers this low. This forum has had a massive drop in traffic over the years, and although pummel held out for a bit longer, it's just following he trend of forums most everywhere.

Sadly.
                      My Deviant Art page
                      My PUMMEL stats
                      PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
                      2 Time Heavyweight Champion
                      Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Comment

You guys need another Summer Slaughter Bang'em Up.
                        https://www.facebook.com/MorganzaX

Comment

Originally posted by BPS Morganza View Post
                          You guys need another Summer Slaughter Bang'em Up.

We've actually been trying to come up with something like that

either as a finale, or a revival.

If you or others have ideas... let us know!
                          My Deviant Art page
                          My PUMMEL stats
                          PUMMEL stats: 61 wins | 58 losses | 31 KOs
                          2 Time Heavyweight Champion
                          Light Heavyweight Commissioner

Comment

I'm up for any kind of big bash. I missed the last one due to a move but am good now.

my deviantart
                            my sketchbook

Comment

Originally posted by Juggertha View Post
                              We've actually been trying to come up with something like that

either as a finale, or a revival.

If you or others have ideas... let us know!
                              Finale?!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X