• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EverBrawl Bout 84 - Master Study (100+ year-old piece) - Due January 31

Welcome to the 84th Round of EverBrawl. Our topic this time:

Master Study (100+ year-old piece)

Due: 11:59PM EST(New York City, USA time or UTC - 5) January 31, 2020

Grab a ladder and climb up on the shoulders of that giant! It's time once again to fight your way up the EverBrawl Ranking Ladder. Participation is simple. Just turn in one piece of your own original artwork based on however you interpret the topic and post it here by the deadline. Please only submit art you started after this topic was chosen.

You earn points based on how many votes you receive plus one participation point. Your rank is based on the sum of all points you've received by participating in EverBrawl. The winner of the bout gets BRAGGIN' RIGHTS!

Good luck! Now let's get EverBrawlin'!
    Current EverBrawl Ranking Ladder
    (These ranks reflect Bout 82 results.)
    Rank EverBrawler Points
    1 crazyjedichicken 184
    2 FreshNightmare 130
    3 pell 115
    4 FireClown 80
    5 RoboMike 76
    6 Ratcrack 72
    7 sevans73 68
    8 Symson 53
    9 Beyfenn 38
    10 Pete Tha Creep 34
    10 Severance 34
    11 Orphangrinder 27
    11 WILLETT 27
    12 RonB 26
    13 battlewraith 25
    14 CrazyMobius 23
    15 Skothu23 21
    16 Josem 18
    17 wender1 16
    18 DarthFurby 14
    18 Nanashi 14
    19 Archerion 13
    20 Juggertha 10
    21 Maulsmash 9
    22 Jeloschi 8
    22 superartguy 8
    23 Electronick 7
    23 Spiderguts 7
    23 VagabondX 7
    24 GuntherGoltz 6
    24 TheCommish 6
    25 letsgowijaya 5
    25 Seithe 5
    25 solanki 5
    26 BPS Morganza 4
    26 Brandino Nebitt 4
    26 Nanshi 4
    27 masked_ramen 3
    28 BeeCo 2
    28 ChrisH 2
    Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

The idea is to choose a piece of art that is at least one hundred years old by an artist who would be considered a master in his craft. Master studies allow you to learn the techniques of the masters by copying their works. You can do a detailed, finished copy or something looser that focuses on one or more specific areas like composition, value, color, etc.

Here's a good video on YouTube by Noah Bradley about the purpose and practice of master studies:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q

Here's an excellent Web site for looking up masters by name, century, movement, etc.:
    https://www.wikiart.org/
    Join us in EverBrawl Bout 35: Raiders of the Lost Ark meets Thundarr the Barbarian during Halloween

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Noah Bradley is an awesome guy and talented digital painter. I have met him several times at Gen Con and he is always a consummate professional and genuinely good guy. Good call on the video reference. He's done some amazing backgrounds and artwork for CCGs and such.

Comment

Here's my charcoal pencil study of a Tiepolo painting. The composition got out of whack, so I cut it short. I meant to get more into the value differences. I'll measure better next time.

"Saint Peter of Alcántara" by Giambattista Tiepolo (1767/1769)
        Canson 140lb Cold Press/Durable Surface Watercolor Paper
        Daler Rowney Medium Charcoal Pencil on Canson 140lb Cold Press/Durable Surface Watercolor Paper

Photo software: Gimp 2.10.8

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

So I just recently discovered Arthur Rackham and I am completely mind blown by his work... Thought I'd try a quick ink study
          based on one of his paintings.

http://

Comment

Thought I'd study Vincent van Gogh and learned it's not a simple matter of copying his mark making technique. I'd benefit from a more in depth study...

Comment

Originally posted by Nanashi View Post
              So I just recently discovered Arthur Rackham and I am completely mind blown by his work... Thought I'd try a quick ink study
              based on one of his paintings.

http://
              Very nice detail and use of values on the tree. I looked Rackham up because the name sounded familiar. I thought maybe Proko or one of the other art YouTube channels mentioned him. Then I saw he illustrated "Alice in Wonderland" which I read recently. So that's probably where I saw his name.

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshNightmare View Post
                Thought I'd study Vincent van Gogh and learned it's not a simple matter of copying his mark making technique. I'd benefit from a more in depth study...
                Funny that when I saw Nanashi's piece before I looked at who posted it, I assumed it was you. It seemed like your kind of thing. But you went off in a different direction. Nice job doing your own thing in a master's style. If I'd have had to guess, I might have answered Munch before van Gogh. They have similar styles.

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

I had a storybook with Arthur Rackham illustrations that creeped me out as a child. Charles Vess always reminded me of his work. Masters made me think of Dutch Masters, which made me think of those ridiculous hats they wore. So here's a Double Dutch Master, Jan Van Goyen painted by Gerard ter Borch.
                  http://chcomicart.blogspot.com/
                  https://www.instagram.com/chris.haizlip/

Comment

Nice job, ChrisH. I don't think I've heard of Gerard ter Borch, but some of my favorite masters are Dutch. I started a Rembrandt study months ago, but I wanted to do something fresh for this challenge. Besides, I'm liking Spanish masters a lot lately.

Pummel Is Back!

Comment

Some great pieces, guys. Fresh may be getting my vote.
                      PJ Art blog!

ArtStation

"It's better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing perfectly."

Comment

Great turnout guys.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X