Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: refilling pentel brush pen

refilling pentel brush pen

I love using the pentel brush pen which takes refills

http://www.jetpens.com/product_info....oducts_id/1793

i have heard on the big illustration party time podcast
    http://illustrationparty.blogspot.com/

that you can refill this with rapidograph universal ink (the type used for rapidograph pens i think)

http://illustrationparty.blogspot.co...bot-party.html

has anyone tried this?

Man Mountain [SUPPORTER] scmarooney's Avatar
    I haven't used the pentel brush pens, but I have tried reloading several types of disposable tech pens by hand. I've successfully reloaded sakura pigma tech pens and the faber-castell Pitt markers.
    I usually wait until I have a handful to do and then do them all at the same time. I secure the pen in a small vise and then use pliers to pull the end cap off (they come right off). I then use Higgins calligraphy ink and a cheap syringe that I purchase at the hardware store to inject the ink into the sponge-reservoir. It doesn't take much, so don't go crazy! Put the cap back on the end of the pen and give it about 2 hours to check for leaks. If they are leaking I throw them out (I was going to throw them away anyhow).
    The Pitt brush pens work best, and best of all the tip in them is reversable. Use a paper towel and pull it straight out and flip it over and put it back in. Works sweet.
    I know, I'm cheap, but at 3 bucks a pop I like to stretch the life of those pens out as much as I can.

Neophyte
    I haven't tried it, as I've heard from several folks that they've tried to put different ink in their PPB's and ruined them.

Like I said, no first hand experience, but consider a few things:

Pentel's ink is specially formulated for the purpose of working with this pen. Notice how it NEVER dries up, even if you shelf you pen for weeks, it flows like new after two strokes? Part of that is the pen design, but a lot of that is the nature of the ink.

Think about how much of a pain in the ass it is to maintain your rapidographs properly. Why? because that ink dries up like a rock inside there! Now imagine that happening inside your bristled PPB-- and with no speciallized cleaning tools. Even if you manage to wash out the dried ink, I doubt it will ever perform quite the same.

I'd say, don't try it unless you're willing to buy another PPB.

BUT I'd also say, if you try it and have success, I'd LOVE to hear about it...

thanks

thanks mattchee and scmarooney
    i only have one pentel brush pen so i am hesitant to try it.

the artist on that podcast seems confident about it working.
    she mentions using rapidograph universal ink
    i have ink that came with a my Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph Pens
    not sure if its the same stuff

Blog Entries
    my cartidges ran out months ago. i just bought a 3 dollar bottle of speedball superblack and dip my pen into it. works better, the ink isnt so washy./

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGuy View Post
    my cartidges ran out months ago. i just bought a 3 dollar bottle of speedball superblack and dip my pen into it. works better, the ink isnt so washy./
    Kinda defeats the purpose of a brush PEN, though, doesn't it?

ha ha.. though i do wish i could fill it with Speedball super black.

Quote Originally Posted by scmarooney View Post
    I haven't used the pentel brush pens, but I have tried reloading several types of disposable tech pens by hand. I've successfully reloaded sakura pigma tech pens and the faber-castell Pitt markers.
    I usually wait until I have a handful to do and then do them all at the same time. I secure the pen in a small vise and then use pliers to pull the end cap off (they come right off). I then use Higgins calligraphy ink and a cheap syringe that I purchase at the hardware store to inject the ink into the sponge-reservoir. It doesn't take much, so don't go crazy! Put the cap back on the end of the pen and give it about 2 hours to check for leaks. If they are leaking I throw them out (I was going to throw them away anyhow).
    The Pitt brush pens work best, and best of all the tip in them is reversable. Use a paper towel and pull it straight out and flip it over and put it back in. Works sweet.
    I know, I'm cheap, but at 3 bucks a pop I like to stretch the life of those pens out as much as I can.
    Great tip! Thanks!

rapidograph ink works just fine.

Blog Entries
    I refilled my brush pen with some W&N calligraphy ink after it'd been dry for a while. It took a while wash out the dry old ink, but it works perfectly now. As long as the ink is OK for technical pens and airbrushes, it shouldn't clog.
    Stats
    Middleweight ►ω:10 λ:9 κο:6◄

Got two brush pens three years ago. I use one as control with the cartridges and the other filled by hand (syringe) with India Ink Royal Talens. None is ruined yet.