Thread: Eyes???

Eyes???

Can someone give me some good techniques with drawing eyes i really need help with them! Thanks!

The thing that helped me the most with drawing eyes (and drawing faces in general, actually) was to make a sculpture of the human head. It was an assignment we did in one of my anatomy classes at SCAD, we worked on it all quarter. We also each got a model of a skull and attached clay muscles to it. Those were some of the most useful assignments I had the whole time I was in college. I barely did any drawing, but it helped with my drawing more than anything. At the end of the class we had to draw all the stuff from memory, and it came incredibly easily.

But for eyes specifically, remember that when you look at a person's eyes you're actually only seeing a portion of the eyeball. The eyeball is actually about the size of a golf ball and sits recessed in the eye socket, with muscles and skin wrapped around it. You have to understand the structure of the skull and musculature to be able to draw them convincingly. This may seem overkill, but it really is necessary: learn to draw the skull correctly, learn where to place the muscles, and learn how they affect the appearance of the eyes and the rest of the face. For example, knowing where the muscles are is the key to being able to draw different facial expressions, and knowing where to place wrinkles.

This probably wasn't the advice you were looking for, but there you go. You shouldn't focus on just learning to draw one feature at a time; learn how everything works together.

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    The two tricks I know are this:

1) the eye is a sphere that peeks out between folds (this is basically what fo_straight was just saying), so you must not neglect that, EVEN if you're trying for a simpler style. This becomes especially important when the face is viewed at an angle, where the orbital curve of the eye becomes more apparent.

2), the eye is always wet, so a little specular highlight will go a long way towards making your drawing feel "real", even if it's completely unrealistic. That can be as simple as a little white dot in the iris, but it's more effective if you have a stronger understanding of reflection and light.

We talk a lot about the eyes being key to expression, but that's not true... the eye itself barely ever changes, it's a static shape. It's the face around the eyes that changes... the brow, the cheek, the eyelids, the wrinkles around the top of the nose, etc. This is where that understanding of musculature and skin and so forth comes in useful, 'cause you know how the face moves and why, and you can use that in combination with a mirror or your own understanding of expressions to create living, convincing characters.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Thanks guys you helped alot!

Thank you inkthinker for clarifying about the eyes. Everything I've read kept saying the eyes are most expressive and I've been getting frustrated because their always 'basically' drawn the same way. You've reinforced what I suspected to be the truth.

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    No prob. Just keep in mind, when people talk about "the eye" they often mean to include the eyebrow, the eyelids and even the bridge of the nose. Even though they may not technically be "the eye" itself, they're what define the shape of "the eye" as we see it from the outside.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."