Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn's Sketchbook

When you aren't happy with it ... ERASE IT! spidey976's Avatar

Shawn's Sketchbook

Hey there folks I thought I would started on Pencil Jack about a month ago, and I have been trying to do a lot of studying. I have learned an aweful lot from the people I have talked to and by studying other threads. So I thought that I would start a sketch blog so I could ask for help and advice. Some of these pics are a little old ... and some of them are in sequence so people can see how I changed certain elements. I have learned by looking at those types of posts found on other threads ... so maybe someone looking at these posts might be helped as well.

So here is a quick pic of batman I did about a year and a half ago

Here are a set of Superman sketches that I did. The first was about two years ago ... the second about a year and a half ago

Last edited by spidey976; 09-26-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Here is a set of pics I did of the Hulk ... they are about 1 year old ... though I am working on a new one now ... and I have included a photo of it.

The World War Hulk Version is coming soon I just need to do some more anatomy improvements

Ther revised ... funky Anatomy version

The moppy headed one

The following are a few Sketches of Captain America.

The First two are old ones one with improved foreshortening on the hand on the first one.

A quick fastball special

A few quick head studies ... trying out different styles and rendering

A working sketch I started of the Justice League ... just before I joined Pencil Jack so I put them away for a little bit till I could work on my anatomy a bit. Also, I had to study dynamics a little more.

These are my sketches I did for my redesign of Captain America for JLFG's challenge ... followed by the final design. Oh ... and a Supes that was originally an anatomy study that I decided to render .. though he is a little thick.

The final piece

Last edited by spidey976; 09-13-2007 at 08:49 PM.

The following are some layouts ... and Anatomy studies I have been doing for another challenge ... I am really trying to work on more dynamic poses here ... but I really had to look at some anatomy and Layout references though one isn't available on line as far as I can find.

I referenced the Iron Man cover of Empire magazine for the Hulk pose in the bottom right hand corner.

I got a bit of the layout for this one of one of my sons pens that we bought him at SuperHeroes exhibit ... but I only looked at it a bit for the placement of the shoulders ... The anatomy I did using an anatomy website I found online thanks to a posting in the Tips and Tech section of the site. Also, I had previously seen a pic by JLFG that he did for the Hulk vs Wolverine draw-off, he sent it to me for some anatomical help ... so thanks JLFG
    Last edited by spidey976; 09-13-2007 at 09:22 PM.

The following studies of Superman are some I am doing for the same challenge I am doing the Hulk for, and I haven't decided which basic pose I like the best.

The following was my first attempt at a straight on shot of Supes flying straight at the camera.

This is my second take on it ... I have to admit that I asked Loston Wallace for a little help ... and I looked at his similar thumb nail for about 30 seconds ... and a pic that Jim Lee did for another 30 seconds. I wasn't looking at them when I did the pic though ... and I am much happier with it.

Inker's Worst Nightmare JimLeeforGod's Avatar
    Right behind you.......turn....around! ;)
    The Dark Knight looks pretty cool and Loving the fastball special.

Good to see ya taking Lostons advice.

Check out http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=12
    for some good studies on proportions.

Keep on posting dude, Its good to seeing you be so consitent
    -JLFG

Vote Jim Lee for God!
    Vote Scott Williams for Vice God!

Deviant Art: http://jimleeforgod.deviantart.com/