Thread: Shoe Painting Protective Finish....

Shoe Painting Protective Finish....

Hey guys, I've been watching these forums for awhile and seeing a bunch of amazing pieces of art done by everyone. I know it mainly deals with comics/characters but I have a quick painting question if someone can answer it.

I've painted one of my white shoes with acyrlic paint and it's all dry. I think the paint can easily come off if i scratch it or wear it on an everyday basis. I'm wondering if there's some kind of spray or finish to make it harden/dry/permanent. I think I'm looking for some kind of matte finish but i'm not sure. If anyone knows any ideas of what I should buy in order to make it more permanent please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Ya know for the past 5 yrs I have painted a pair of shoes for the month of july which I call my "Shoes of Justice!" I have experienced the same problems. I wish that I could help you out but I only found that by putting most sprays on it only made it collect more dirt, wasnt easy to wash, hardened the shoe to where it couldnt bend. I dunno what to tell you except its been easier to take a few minutes a week and just touch up the paints. let me know if you find something. Keep kickin!
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

Never argue with an Idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with exp.

http://toddoss.deviantart.com/

Thanks! That's cool how you're working on those shoes. If I try to scratch the paint off, it doesn't really come off but I'm hoping it won't come off when I'm wearing them in the outdoors.

Have you tried a protective clear coat. Kind of like what you do to a car so the paint doesn't scrat off. I think that should help you. Not the sticky protective coat, but an actual clear coat. Spray it on thick and make sure it doesn't run after 2-4 layers and it should do the trick. Should be able to pick it up at Home Depot or any art/craft store.

-Jon

Your friendly neighborhood [Moderator] Spidey's Avatar
    I think the real trick to it is to set a good primer or coat on your shoe first, because unless its canvas material acrylica are gonna have a hard time hanging on to that glossy leather. Try sanding your shoes a bit with something like a 200 count or some spray on primer. Once you hvae that established you can use I'm pretty sure any matte finish to help seal it in. Or just ask Methamphibian
    SB!FBTrMABP: 10W-11L-7K.O

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Is Methamphibian a user on here? Cuz if you think he'll know a solution i'll send him a message.

Your friendly neighborhood [Moderator] Spidey's Avatar
    Heh, no. He's actually a professional shoe artist that gets paid way too much for what he does.
    http://www.methamphibian.com/
    SB!FBTrMABP: 10W-11L-7K.O

R.I.P. Can't Find The Right Paint???!!

What's up fella's? Look I can't seem to find the right paint to paint my shoes with. I've heard about some Angellos Leather Paint or something but can't seem to find it in stores. Can you help me out a bit??

I was going to suggest silk screen inks designed for cloth but I Googled Angellos and found this

http://www.shoehardware.com/dye_a_lp...FRdPagodUxL8LQ