Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKELETOR vs. HE-MAN (He-Man defeated)

SKELETOR vs. HE-MAN (He-Man defeated)

This is just the pencils of the full commission. Took me about four days, never was satisfied with anything, mostly of the right arm of He-Man. That blocked me totally.
    The guy i am doing this for would like to know what you think about it so far.

Thanks.

Inks and colors are soon to follow.

Neophyte
    heh! Dam thats gory for a he-man pic! But a little gore aint such a bad thing....

Your pencils are clean and tight which is good. Overall its a nice drawing and your figures are pretty solid.

My only real crit would be on your composition. The background is a little too generic for my taste, and it kinda makes the pic seem less interesting. It almost detracts focus from the main idea of your pic, which is He-man vs Skeletor. If you really focused your camera on that action, I think it would make for a more interesting piece overall....but that could just be me.

I like how you added the detail of battle cat fighting the panther in the background....can't remember the panthers name....

Nice work! I think the dude you did this for should be quite happy with it

J.
    JON Sommariva
    www.red-j.deviantart.com
    Updated at least weekly!! New art. Check it!!
    Comicspace: http://www.comicspace.com/redj/

Ok, this is really well rendered. I like the way you handled the lines and such. I do have a problem with just a couple things.

First, the sword hodling hand of Skeletor and the hilt of the other sword are really clashing. With the 2nd sword being so assymetrical, it took me a while to figure out that it was only one weapon and not some Escher blade he was holding.

Second, Skeletor's holding a sword, a sword is jammed in Adam's chest and Skeletor's staff is jammed in the ground close by. That means Skeletor had three weapons. How was he holding him?

Third, the line weights could be punched up a lot more. As it stands as a pencil piece, it's just too pretty to even consider inking or coloring, it stands on its own, but it needs tweaks. The snake head mountain and the head of the staff seem like they're right next to each other. Some cliff and mountain outlines are popping more than the figure lines, making everything sort of flat.

Also, there's no discernable light source, another thing flattening this piece out.

Conclusion, that sword in Adam's chest is extraneous and could probably be removed. It's a cool sword, replace it with the one Skeletor's holding. Punch the line weights, especially any that would indicate a light source. It's such a finished looking piece, don't rely on later inking or coloring to do the job for the pencils.

Well done.

@ Red J
    Thank you very much for taking the time. I will see what i can do.

The panthers name is... Panthor (really, it is)

@ Xadrian

First: The swords can't clash, there is evough space between them. For Skeletor is standig a good half meter away from the sword sticking in He-Man's chestemblem.

Second: The two swords are normally one. Looks a bit strange but it is like that you fit the two backsides together.
    The sword is carried on the back and he has two hands for the staff. Before the fight he has the staff, rams it into the ground and draws his sword, splits it in two and fights He-Man two handed. Fortunately for the one who commissioned the image He-Man was defeated next to the staff so we can see that thing sticking in the ground.
    He-Man gets the one blade into the chest, falls on his knees looses his sword and Skeletor holds his head and slashes his right hand sword through the neck, He-Man rolls to his right, Skeletor uses his foot to roll him back and presents the now turned head of He-Man to the audience.
    That is the story about how and why He-Man lies like that

Third: Yes understan, thanks, i will try/do that.

I don't understand why i should change/switch the swords? What is wrong with that one?
    It is the dark side of the sword. The other side looks like a bird.

I apreciate the time you two took to reply, i will take your critics and make the best out of it. Thanks!

Clash as in not physically, but as in it's complex enough that the image is mishmashed and it's hard to tell which is which. Some heavier lines on the one he's holding would help that.

Only reason I suggested the sword thing is because I can't tell if that's one scissor-like sword or two seperate swords.

That's all.

he-man's left shoulder is much larger than his right, even though the right is closest to us.

AQ
    http://aqwip.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by xadrian
    Clash as in not physically, but as in it's complex enough that the image is mishmashed and it's hard to tell which is which. Some heavier lines on the one he's holding would help that.

Only reason I suggested the sword thing is because I can't tell if that's one scissor-like sword or two seperate swords.

That's all.
    Ah, i think i got it.
    This is what the sword looks like put together.

@ antquinonenz
    right... thanks.

Trapped in purgatory - A lifeless object, alive - Awaiting reprisal
    I agree with what's been offered already. Maybe Skeletors left foot look a little off.

Composition is ok. Something bothers me about it, but I can't put my finger on it. The staff directly "over" Snake mountain is a little too lined up.

This is well penciled and has great detail. It's a good piece. I think it will remain to be seen in what you bring to it with inks to really make this a -fantastic- piece.

Good stuff.

Really good! I think there are some tiny anatomy issues with Skelator's ribs and the way you shaded them as well as the muscles in his legs. Other than that, very good!

- - - - - -
    MAX........

Holy Smokes......... Was that on the weekday cartoons? I missed that one!
    Sweet Pic! Great work...
    I go with what RedJ was saying, though the only difference would be, is: make all your next(next picture) backgrounds to the subject.. closer. An over the shoulder backgroung, sort of speak. Makes the eye focus on the subject more, unless your telling a story!

JAM,.................