Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Storytelling 101

Modesto, CA 1979 EddieChingLives's Avatar
    I think he was trying to say what future lessons I have planned, but I'm not sure.

Upon further investigation, it seems that he was paraphrasing this post, from the first page of this thread, just like in this post, he paraphrased this post from the first page of that thread. And his signature in both posts is some spammy website.

So, probably not a spam-BOT, but almost certainly a (fairly clever) spammer.

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    The spambots have gotten to the point where they can actually create semi-coherent phrases out of key words and non-specific phrases. Examine his post:

I think that a full understanding of the media is very important to those of us who draw sequentials. I would like to see you doing something you listed the subject of future
    "I think that a full understanding of [X] is very important to those of us who [Y]." Be wary of shit like this... I swear one day we'll see this as an intermediate step to Skynet. That's my first warning sign... my second is that it's Post 2 in his count, and when I examine his other posts it's more of the same.

If they're not more specific in the of their first couple posts, I usually banhammer them just to be safe. If someone legitimate gets hammered by accident, I'll feel very bad, but it's better than leaving the bots to quietly build their post counts until they hit the threshold and start including spamlinks and the like in their sigs. This is why it's often a good idea to make your first post something about yourself, something introductory... 'cause otherwise, it's the hammer for you, son.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

I think that a full understanding of the spamming is very important to those of us who post. I would like to see you doing something you listed the subject of future

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Hahaha...

If your first post sounds like something from Google Adsense, that's sets off alarm bells.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

I posted this on my devint art for like a year now, but it might be helpful here.

Potential and Kinetic panels

Headshots and standing-looking-cool shots are one thing. But it's all about the POTENTIAL and KINETIC energy.

A rock about to fall off a cliff. POTENTIAL.
    A rock falling off of the cliff. KINETIC.

A character POINTING a gun. POTENTIAL THREAT.
    A character SHOOTING a gun. KINETIC.

It's mostly KINETIC.

Take CHARACTERS RUNNING or CHARACTERS LEAPING. Always going to be in comics. WHY?

BECAUSE IT MAKES PEOPLE WANT TO TURN THE PAGE and READ THE NEXT PANEL. And it looks cool. And, since the characters are leaping in the air, you don't have to worry about their bodies totally lining up with perspective.

A PUNCH. We want to see if the character is still standing in the next panel.

A CHARACTER GETTING HIT WITH AN ENERGY BLAST. We want to see if it killed them in the next panel.

It's why lots of villains end up FALLING TO THEIR DEATH. He-man. The Emperor in Star Wars. Die Hard. Robocop.

I think I'm just going mental. This is probably just obvious to everyone already, but it's been something I've been thinking about lately. Especially going through my Alan Davis THE NAIL trade. Awesome kinetic energy that keeps me from being bored in a page.

It's sad, but I'm an idiot fan in that respect. I'm sure comics are written well now days, but some comics have just too many head shots and is too decompressed. Spiderman comics used to be one and done, with Catalysts, Low Point Crisis, and Heroes trapped, who have to figure out how to escape and race back to fight the bad guy, save the girl and the planet. I need at least one of these checkpoints to occur in a comic. End a comic with a crisis. End with an OH S moment. That's cool. But I can't read a comic that is just a slow mood builder.

I'm all over the place with this. Basicly, there's people that look down on Hollywood formulas and guys who want things to splode. Then there's people like me with short attention spans that like the format.