Thread: How to Draw a Shattered Wall

How to Draw a Shattered Wall

Okay. I'm getting frustrated here.

I wanna do this pic, where a character has gotten thrown into this solid wall, and it left this great big dent in the stone wall. So it looks all cool and shattered and stuff.

Problem?

I have NO idea how to draw that! I can't find any reference's anywhere. So if you guys know anything I can look at to get the general idea for how to do that, that would be great.

Rent a movie where someone gets smashed into a wall (I'm sure you can think of several) and pause it. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.
    "I've got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

Matrix. I own that. I should go watch that. The scene in the subway station is Perfect!

Thanks.

Bah! This still isn't working out right.

I need to see how somebody else drew it. Does anybody know a good refrence pic for something like this?

the way i've always treated this kinda thing is like this:
    basically, things tend to shatter in a spiderweb pattern, with cracks radiating from the point of impact and then others crossing those in a somewhat concentric pattern. Different materials shatter like this in different specific ways, but overall it's kinda the same.

plate glass tends to create long knifelike shards,
    safety glass creates little rectangular boxes and larger chunks
    cement is similar to safet glass except with odd-shaped rubble and large chunks
    any kind of modular construction (tile, brick) shatters specific to the material, but also cracks along the weakest area, which is the grout or mortar holding it together, which can result in whole modules or even groups of modules staying unharmed and possibly just falling, intact.

wood is about the only think i can think of that's different than this in the most general sense. Wood more or less just splinters along the grain, forming large and small chunks that way, breaking across it genrally only at the point of impact. Granted, that's a very generic visualization of the concept.

not to shill my own work, but a lot of the Battle Pope issues involve people busting through things. i don't know any specific issues offhand, but that's a place to start.

i hope that helped, man. good luck.
    -T
    Don't let the smooth taste fool you.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Blog Entries
    Wood doesn't always splinter along the grain. Sometimes factors like type of wood, and the shape & weight of an object causing an impact can have some surprising results.
    Here's an example of damage done to wood by a cannonball to illustrate what I mean:

A concrete wall might very well splinter in a web-like manner that Tony described, but keep in mind that impacts effect different types of walls differently.
    Here's an example of an impact hole in a brick wall, for instance:

and here's another:

Loston
    http://www.lostonwallace.com
    Last edited by Bruce Lee; 04-22-2003 at 03:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    And lastly, here's an image of some impact damage to a slab of concrete:

I found all of these impact images using google.com, cross indexing words like cannonball, impact, concrete impact, wall hole, etc. Learn how to conduct web searches successfully, and you're reference gathering abilities will be limitless.

Loston
    http://www.lostonwallace.com

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    Yep, effective use of the Google Image Search has saved me many a headache.

But for an artist who has drawn wall impacts, you might consider Katsuhiro Otomo, who threw his characters around a lot in telekinetic battles both in Akira and Domu. They're both excellent books, anyhow (Otomo's mastery of line art is a beatiful thing to behold).
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."

Keep in mind too if your character goes through the wall that any interior wall will have pipes and wires and studs, etc. Even concrete building walls, depending on their location, will have rebar and cables and piping.

Wow! Such wonderful responses to my pathetic cry for help!

Thanks a ton guys, that totally helps!!

I'll be sure to post the finished work when I'm done with it.