Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Why do I suck at drawing?

  1. #1
    Member Phat Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Shelley, ID
    Posts
    148

    Why do I suck at drawing?

    Ok I am not saying that I am not trying. I sit down just about everyday for atleast an hour and doodle or sketch but it never gets past that. It seems like whenever I have a good thought I cannot get it from my brain to my hand to the pencil to the paper. I know I need to learn some stuff about anatomy and crap like that but why is it that I cannot get this stuff out. Is this what a block is like? Someone please help?
    Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

    Don't hunt what you can't kill!!! - Shawn Michaels

  2. #2
    draw from life. Take Figure drawing classes. It's the only way to really get better. Look out side. Draw some interesting buildings. Stay in side and draw an interesting angle of your room, hallway, or kitchen.

    Basically draw from life. You wont really get this in you head until you do. So that when you draw from your head you'll be able to remember what muscle goes were and how the muscle will look at certain times.

    I'm still learning. I'm going to take an outside figure drawing class. Right now my college is being really gay about the illustrative track.

  3. #3
    I think you mistook his query there Dan, I think he is having trouble actualizing his thoughts on paper. Hate to say this Kiddo but very few people can.Interest may play some part in your lack of mind/hand control. Maybe this isn't the artistic field you belong in. You may be more suited for Music or something like that. Your age may also be a factor. Most of the guys on here have been drawing since toddlerhood (not a word). But like anything that requires the use of the mind and is then manifested by the hands, practice is all that works. I play golf, if I don't hit a couple of hundred balls a week I will in some way have to relearn how to swing the clubs. Muscle memory is what it's called. You may not have had enough years of drawing to have developed those mental and physical muscles yet. how long have you been drawing? How old are you? More importantly what do you hope to accomplish with your art? Motivation is also a key factor. Ask yourself if your truly serious about this or are you just dabbling? These and many questions will be answered same bat time, same bat channel.

  4. #4
    Modesto, CA 1979 EddieChingLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Modesto, California, United States
    Posts
    1,193
    You can only draw your way out of a slump.

    And learn as much as every aspect as you can. Pencil, Ink, Color and WRITE. If you get good at writing, it helps you create ideas better. Start a comic strip. Keep it loose and simple. You can get away with a lot more when you keep it cartoony. Letter your sketches too. I allways have the dude Im drawing say "Hey, my anatomy sucks!!!" or whatever I find odd about the drawing. It helps.

    Keep sketching away. It's the only way to get better. And keep the rough sketches first.

  5. #5
    Exiter
    Guest

    Re: Why do I suck at drawing?

    Originally posted by Wyld Thang
    Ok I am not saying that I am not trying. I sit down just about everyday for atleast an hour and doodle or sketch but it never gets past that. It seems like whenever I have a good thought I cannot get it from my brain to my hand to the pencil to the paper. I know I need to learn some stuff about anatomy and crap like that but why is it that I cannot get this stuff out. Is this what a block is like? Someone please help?
    you need to add a little regimentation to your drawing routine. You have to think of it as learning a formal discipline like music or martial arts.
    Apparently right now youre just haphazardly drawing with no real focus. Select whatever it is you want to improve at and force yourself to work on it.
    One hour a day just aint gonna cut it. if youre only spending 7 hours a week practicing its going to take you forever to see any real progress in your work. Taking into consideration school or work id say that you should be spending about 20 hrs a week practicing at the minium and if you have a more flexible schedule at least 35-70 hrs a week.

  6. #6

    Re: Re: Why do I suck at drawing?

    Originally posted by Exiter


    you need to add a little regimentation to your drawing routine. You have to think of it as learning a formal discipline like music or martial arts.
    Apparently right now youre just haphazardly drawing with no real focus. Select whatever it is you want to improve at and force yourself to work on it.
    One hour a day just aint gonna cut it. if youre only spending 7 hours a week practicing its going to take you forever to see any real progress in your work. Taking into consideration school or work id say that you should be spending about 20 hrs a week practicing at the minium and if you have a more flexible schedule at least 35-70 hrs a week.
    Ya right, lol maybe for a slow learner. I mabye spend 5-8 hours a week drawing all together, sometimes not even that much. Im pretty damn good (for my age, just compare to others) and Ive been drawing since 3rd grade (17 now)

    You just draw whne you feel like, dont force yourself or it will never be fun, like right now i wanna draw, so im going to. Then ill go to bed.
    __________________
    FELLOWSHIP OF THE PENCILS!


    Mobo Model:MS-6380
    AGP Rates (Current/Available) 4x / 1x 2x 4x
    CPUAMD Athlon(tm) XP/MP/4 1360 MHz
    FSB133 MHz
    Memory384 MB
    Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    Driver Version 6.13.10.4109

    Video Memory64 MB
    3DMark Score9733 3D marks
    My Gallery: http://www.whoreable.deviantart.com
    or
    http://greysart.cjb.net/

  7. #7
    I hat that frustrating stage. I find the best thign to do is just relax. If your dodoling it's not important that it looks good, just kinda draw an dnot worry about it. Skill will develop over time

  8. #8
    Exiter
    Guest

    Re: Re: Re: Why do I suck at drawing?

    Originally posted by whoreable

    you just draw whne you feel like, dont force yourself or it will never be fun, like right now i wanna draw, so im going to. Then ill go to bed.
    well you have to learn the disciplines first then you can have the real fun....otherwise it'll be evident in your art that all you're doing is just funning around

  9. #9

    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do I suck at drawing?

    Originally posted by Exiter

    well you have to learn the disciplines first then you can have the real fun....otherwise it'll be evident in your art that all you're doing is just funning around
    Good point, I agree with that also.....YOUR INSIDE MY HEAD! DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    __________________
    FELLOWSHIP OF THE PENCILS!


    Mobo Model:MS-6380
    AGP Rates (Current/Available) 4x / 1x 2x 4x
    CPUAMD Athlon(tm) XP/MP/4 1360 MHz
    FSB133 MHz
    Memory384 MB
    Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    Driver Version 6.13.10.4109

    Video Memory64 MB
    3DMark Score9733 3D marks
    My Gallery: http://www.whoreable.deviantart.com
    or
    http://greysart.cjb.net/

  10. #10
    Iatola of Crapola Devilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,753
    why is the sky blue? why is water wet? Why ask why?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •