Thread: Fathom Sketch 15

Angry Fathom Sketch 15

A piece pf Chris Ehnot's work on DeviantArt that I have flatted and colored.

Flats & Colors - Me
    Pencils & Inks : Chris Ehnot

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Have you read any of the advice people have posted in other threads, or is this just a image dump for you?
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ

Yes I have read them, and I thought this piece was much of an improvement over the Danger Girl piece and the others that I posted before.Also, according to some other peiople on other forums and sites that I post on, they thought it was a much improved piece as well.

So if you disagree, please by all means, show me what you don't like about my work and what/how I can improve it. And if there is anything you do like about it, please tell me that too.

I am always wanting to improve, and I thought I actually incorporated what sdowner and others have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas71 View Post
    Have you read any of the advice people have posted in other threads, or is this just a image dump for you?

For starters, find better line art. That's not exactly a great piece to color. Pick a direction for your light source. Smooth out your blends. Look at anatomy or planes of the figure diagrams to figure out how light should be interacting with the forms. Consider color holds on the water. Good luck.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. ~Pablo Picasso

my deviantart
    my sketchbook

Jackass of All Trades [Moderator] amadarwin's Avatar
    Penciljack National Headquarters Basement
    the consistent thing I see about your pieces is that the color choices are poor. The gradients read like they are poorly rasterized and hurt my eyes, literally. The amount of yellow hue you've used has made her look sickly instead of a healthy, vibrant being enjoying the sunlight.

Couple of questions:
    1. What program are you using to color this with?
    2. Do you know how to flat an image before coloring? This would help tremendously with your tonal values.
    3. Does your monitor need calibrating?

You might benefit from watching a few coloring tutorials online. First on the basics, then on more specific areas as your proficiency grows. Keep at it, you can only go up from here.
    Check out Film Grouch!

Wanna be uncool? Unhip? Unhung? Join the Monkey Revolution!

Amadarwin's unauthorized, unscathing, unfinished biography.

Monkey with Crayons [Moderator] Veritas71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidCunningham View Post
    Yes I have read them, and I thought this piece was much of an improvement over the Danger Girl piece and the others that I posted before.Also, according to some other peiople on other forums and sites that I post on, they thought it was a much improved piece as well.

So if you disagree, please by all means, show me what you don't like about my work and what/how I can improve it. And if there is anything you do like about it, please tell me that too.

I am always wanting to improve, and I thought I actually incorporated what sdowner and others have suggested.
    Ok. Sorry if I came off harsh. I saw all the work sdowner put into that walkthrough, and wanted to know if it was falling on deaf ears. I echo the comments about watching YouTube videos on color theory and techniques for line art. Good luck.
    OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!
    My Blog
    My DeviantART Page
    PUMMEL Statistics: 8 Wins - 3 Losses (6-KO's) 2 Month Champ