Thread: Be kind....

Be kind....

I know there are lots of problems here. Crits are appreciated.

Spidey and Bats get lost in this image. Gorgeous details, poor contrast between foreground and middleground.

Here, I broke down the image into grayscale, 4 shades. Helps to understand the WHY ... As in, why is this happening? Here's why.

Your values are too close. They blend in with the background too much.

My advice is to begin pieces with tiny thumbs where you work out composition not only by line but by value, too. Helps to understand the spatial relationships better at the beginning of a piece. You'll find it will be MUCH easier to finish a piece if you already have a tiny, finished version of it (colored thumbnail).

Neophyte
    I really like the picture, the idea of bats and spidy working together is really cool. I would definitely buy this comic, I wonder how long it would take batman to figure out who Spider-Man is, what am I saying he probably already knows and has some anti-Spider-Man gear on spidy just doesn't know.
    The comment about looking at your work through gray scale is great. I forget things like this when I make art most of the time but I will think of it more now.

Huge benefits to breaking down compositions with grayscale and value breakdowns. This book is an eye opener.

http://a.co/694TwfY

Quote Originally Posted by nsterken View Post
    Spidey and Bats get lost in this image. Gorgeous details, poor contrast between foreground and middleground.

Here, I broke down the image into grayscale, 4 shades. Helps to understand the WHY ... As in, why is this happening? Here's why.

Your values are too close. They blend in with the background too much.

My advice is to begin pieces with tiny thumbs where you work out composition not only by line but by value, too. Helps to understand the spatial relationships better at the beginning of a piece. You'll find it will be MUCH easier to finish a piece if you already have a tiny, finished version of it (colored thumbnail).
    This is why i come here.... Dude thanks for the tip. I feel like youre right. I wanted the figures to pop more but they get slogged down with the bg. I ordered the book you recommended. Thanks!

You'll love that book!

With that book, just have a mindset that it will be a study tool for years, not just a read and dump type book.

The first thing that jumped out to me as being odd is the clouds. They look too solid, like soft pretzel dough, because the shape is too defined and the edges aren't diffused out enough. But I think my biggest criticism would be that you have too many textures fighting against each other with the windows, the bricks, Batman's cape and the clouds. The rhythm of all these things aren't working together.