Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raphael WIP

Member [SUPPORTER] Crimson Spider's Avatar
    Mvp22u (v3).

That's so weird dude. I just bought one. Same model except I got the version with the connections in the stand. I really like the tablet part, everything else is a little flimsy. I love the tablet so far.

Just wanted to thank you Smitty. I ordered the book online and in the meantime I checked it out from the library. I appreciate the recommendation!

I've used a program called Lightwave 3d for a long time to do renders, mostly for commercial products. Occasionally I've incorporated it into images for illustrations. Particularly where the perspective is tedious, or I don't know exactly how I want to frame the composition and want to use the program to explore various options before committing to something.

Now in Lightwave you have a camera that you can move around in a virtual space (in which you place your models, lighting effects, etc.). The camera by default is sitting flat. It has no heading, pitch, or bank rotation. The camera also represents the viewer's eye level, so the horizon is automatically level with the camera. The camera with no pitch will automatically do one or two point perspective (ie the sides of an object will remain straight vertical lines).

Now here's the problem. If you have a letter size sheet of paper and you're going to have a low horizon line, you just draw your horizon line and then plot out the VPs and everything on the page. But if you tell the computer that you want to do a letter size render and then put the camera low to establish the low horizon line--it keeps the horizon line/eye level in the middle of the shot. This makes it a bit tricky to get things properly placed in the shot. Like you may have wanted a worm's eye view but instead are just looking at people's ankles. You're probably going to need to pull the camera back for a wider shot and then crop the image to the specific section you want.

The mistake people make is that, in order to place things the way they want, they'll do something like move the camera up higher and then tilt it down, or vice versa. As soon as you pitch the camera up or down, it automatically changes the perspective to three point perspective. Which is fine if the horizon is out of the shot, but looks distorted if the horizon is in the shot. It looks to me like the camera in your sketchup scene was pitched in this way.