Thread: Comic book artists who deserve more recognition...

Comic book artists who deserve more recognition...

Who do you think deserves more recognition than they have received? I can think of tons of them, but I'll name a couple that come to mind...

Philippe Buchet - Virtually unknown in America and only somewhat recognized in Europe. Every panel is a thing of beauty.

Drew Edward Johnson - This guy has done solid work on popular titles for the big two, and some of the better work on Wonder Woman during Rucka's first run back when nobody was reading it (but the stories were excellent.) You don't hear his name much and it's too bad.

Max Andersson - Not so much a great artist as a wickedly funny creator of the alternative variety. His graphic novel, Pixy, is so freaking funny and weird as hell that I think it scares people away. His "Death and Candy" mini-series was also brilliant.

Don Rosa - Only in the past while has he really started to be something of a household name, but then again, how many comic fans know the name of Carl Barks? His stories are exceptional and his art is near perfection.
    "In 2013 Rosa received the Bill Finger Award which recognizes excellence in comic book writing for writers who have not received their rightful reward and/or recognition." ...sums it up perfectly.

Anyway, I could list many more, but this is a start.

Next up...

Bob Layton - I think of Bob Layton as the guy who solidified the Iron Man armor into something that looked more solid and like metal. To me he brought a new level of aesthetic coolness to the armor compared to everyone else before him.

Nestor Redondo - It doesn't seem like Redondo ever really got much attention, and he did a lot of spectacular work in a number of different books with different genres. When I saw this piece below for the first time, it really caught me by surprise, because not only had I never heard of the book or the character, but I had never heard of the artist. Since then I have seen the actual comic it came from, and I have to say the original is the only way to do it justice. The cheap print and bland coloring of the comic almost destroys it.

awesome thread.

Thanks for the info, especially the picture helps.

I think a ton of comic artists are not given the praise they deserve... especially if you do work such as Carl Barks & Don Rosa. Those guys had some serious chops (look at the backgrounds & world they created in each comic)

with that said, I think to be memorialized in comics you also have to be popular, sadly ... everyone agrees that ARTIST X is the best because his Xmen or Batman cover sold the most among other things, but regardless of his art quirks/fumbles/inconsistencies, he does offer something people love...

But looking forward to see more of these artists who deserve more recognition

I agree with you Ryan. Popularity mostly seems to be tied in with how closely associated you are with a noteworthy period or origin of a popular character or team. Dave Gibbons and Watchmen would be an example of this I think.

One thing I would mention about Don Rosa too is that his stories are equally as good as his art, and both are exceptional. The first two hardback collections put out by Fantagraphics are among the most fun stories I have ever read.

Bob Powell - Bob Powell is one of the small handful of artists who has contributed pencils to more than 500 comics, and that's not even counting a hundred plus covers, and hundreds of pages of inks. He did work for almost every publisher of the golden age, and in every genre, working along side many well known artists of comic book history, including Eisner and Wood. He was also one of the key artists behind the cult classic trading card set, "Mars Attacks" (among others), and he wrote many of the stories that he drew... yet even with this colossal body of work, it seems that mostly only comic book historians know much about his work. From what I have read, Powell was a guy who loved to draw, and he only did it because he loved it, which is perhaps why his stories are more fun than they are refined. Powell was good, but lacked the definition of Eisner, Wood or Kirby. He had a chameleon sensibility in how he approached his art, which shifted depending on what he was working on, and he never seemed to care about fame or recognition, and commented about it with some contempt in one of his last letters before he died of cancer at the young age of 51.

In my opinion, the YOE Books collection of Powell's horror stories are much more fun and unpredictably weird compared to the streamlined formula of your average EC horror story.

From the Topps Batman and Robin trading card set

From the Topps Mars Attacks trading card set

Last edited by Nexus; 07-10-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Rest In Peace Brokenhill [Moderator] fatmancomics's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mike Zeck. The beginning sequence in Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man #131 is the reason I got into comics in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
    Mike Zeck. The beginning sequence in Peter Parker, Amazing Spider-Man #131 is the reason I got into comics in the first place.
    Still my favorite Punisher artist from back in the days before Marvel let him become a directionless sociopath.

Irv Novick - When you catch the dramatic vision of Irv Novick, its not hard to see why artist Roy Lichtenstein chose some of Novick's works to rip-off and capitalize from. Lichtenstein reproduced comic book panels on large canvases which led to his fame as part of the Pop art movement but he gave no acknowledgement to the actual comic book artists (financial or otherwise) that he was stealing from. Novick was one of these comic artists, and one of Novick's panels that Lichtenstein titled "Whaam" is possibly the most famous of Lichtenstein's swiped pieces.

Novick started doing comics during the golden age, being a key illustrator of The Shield for MLJ (the first patriotic superhero) and later moving over to DC where he did war and romance comics. He has an excellent sense of composition and drama, and has done some particularly powerful cover art, but remains in relative obscurity. I can only speculate as to why this might be. Despite having worked in the industry for more than fifty years and with a solid body of work, Novick was never firmly recognized as being a pivotal part of recognized creations or popular movements, despite being a major player in the development of huge characters like Batman and the Shield. His war comics in particular have incredible intensity, yet war comics, much like romance and westerns, have never held the high esteem of collector enthusiasm like that of superheroes, horror, or science fiction comics, whose creators are often the historical icons of the industry.

"Whaam"
    Last edited by Nexus; 07-18-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Hank Hartman, Don Spaulding, Ernest Nordli - Raise your hand if you have ever bought a western comic book. Raise your hand if you have even browsed through a western comic book. Alright, lets lower the bar some more... raise your hand if you have ever paid any attention to a Dell or Gold Key comic book. If so, you are probably something like one in ten thousand current comic book readers. What really stands out to me about Dell/Gold Key comics are the exceptional painted covers. A huge portion of the Dell/Gold Key cover credits still remain unknown (other than speculative guesses.) The Lone Ranger is one of the rare exceptions, because the cover artists were established in other areas of art such as commercial art (Hank Hartman) western painting (Don Spaulding) and animation designer (Ernest Nordli) and so had something of a following that led to their work being documented. Otherwise, it is likely their contributions may have remained nameless and possibly even thrown away after use, as often happened with commercial art in those days.

These guys did dozens of covers, all of which are excellent, and showcase the almost forgotten glory days of the cowboy as a pop culture icon, a piece of history that is pretty much unique to America.

Ernest Nordli

Hank Hartman

Don Spaulding
    Last edited by Nexus; 08-03-2017 at 05:46 PM.