Thread: Studying "Freehand Figure Drawing for Illustrators" by David H. Ross

Studying "Freehand Figure Drawing for Illustrators" by David H. Ross

Hi, I am currently up to Chapter 4 in the book. There was an 8 image walk cycle he had there, which wasn't an assignment, but I'm trying to copy the whole book to get better. This is what I'm up to:

So, I copied this and animated it, because you're never sure what's going to look super off.

Quote Originally Posted by scottlamean View Post
    Hi, I am currently up to Chapter 4 in the book. There was an 8 image walk cycle he had there, which wasn't an assignment, but I'm trying to copy the whole book to get better. This is what I'm up to:

So, I copied this and animated it, because you're never sure what's going to look super off.

Pretty cool. It's a bit jerky at the end. Needs a few more inbeween cells. Back hand just kinda appears...still pretty cool for just 8 drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyfenn View Post
    Pretty cool. It's a bit jerky at the end. Needs a few more inbeween cells. Back hand just kinda appears...still pretty cool for just 8 drawings.
    Thanks! It's not my planning, though. I'm copying from the book here.

Chapter 4 exercise. In this chapter, walking and running, found walking a bit more exciting, since there's the obvious counter twist of shoulder line and pelvis. With running, I would find sometimes that the raised leg in the pushed run would sometimes mess that up, and make it impossible to guess which was higher or lower. Don't know if I'm making sense here. The main thing seems to be getting the tipped line of balance down on running, along with arms and legs being the right spots.

This is my exercise, so this isn't copied from the book, so there may be tons of stuff wrong here.
    The book had the run cycle in side views, so I figured I'd do some front-on.