Thread: tools of the trade

tools of the trade

I'm sure everyone who does art has tried multiple products to create,i want to know what do you use most and why?, what makes it better then anything else?, and was it a good deal? can also post about what ones you didn't like so much

Me personally i tried a lot and have seen their pros and cons all the same,but a couple i liked most art the platinum preppy fountain pens and the copic multiliners, i liked them as they both give me constant lines , easy to use, no smearing and are refillable, but the platinum pens are best , being they have a stronger nib and haven't worn as fast as the copics nibs,, and if you buy the converters for the platinum fountain pens they don;t need the cartridges making it even better

It's the artist, not the tools. That being said, this is what I've settled on for different work.

I sketch everything in H with a 2mm lead holder to get forms, anatomy, perspective. I'll tighten it up with an HB lead holder (with some 2B here and there) if it's going to stay a pencil drawing.

If I want color, I'll usually paint watercolor over an H drawing on bristol or water color paper.

For inked work, I'll either do brush work with Dr. Ph Martin Bombay ink (my new fave) and sable brushes over loose H sketches or I'll use a 22 nib (flexible) and speedball or Dr. Martin Bombay, and a 56 school nib when I don't want variation (kudos to Smitty for that suggestion).

As far as nib vs. brush, it's really dependent on my mood and the size of the work. I have a sequential series about dreams that I started with a nib and I've kept it the same for consistency, but for large pieces I always like to use a brush. Since I can clean a nib faster than a brush, I'll usually do quick stuff with a nib, especially in my office over lunch.
    Last edited by Always Drawing; 08-15-2016 at 03:42 PM.

I've used lots of different markers and brushes and inks, but after years of drawing I've kind of settled on certain things. I do experiment still, which is always fun.

But I generally draw on copy/print paper, and use Pentel or Staedtler HB lead in a mechanical pencil. I use a geometric triangle that's about 30 cm - handiest tool I have, I think. And a 60 cm ruler as well as one that's 80 cm, for doing perspective.

Once I have my figures drawn, I scan them and do the lay-out in Corel Photopaint. Re-scale things and correct mistakes - saves lots of time, I've found. Then I print it out and do the backgrounds in pencil.

Then I scan the finished sketch and print it out in light blue on Bristol (Clairfontaine, 205 grams - because it fits in my printer, anything thicker gets stuck on my printer). Which saves lots of time too, I think - if I mess something up, I can always make another print.

Then I ink - which is the funest part, I think. I use Royal Talens ink - it's very black and dries quickly, though it's a little thick perhaps. But it is the best ink I've ever used. I ink with Winsor and Newton Cotman series 222 - rather cheap, synthetic brushes but I really enjoy them. The slightly longer hair suits me fine and they seem less stiff than animal hair. I use size 0 or 1 - rather small, but they give quite a lot of variation. They wear out quickly, but don't cost much and have less of a "reservoir" than real hair, perhaps.

For straight lines (like buildings and windows and things) - often Staedtler or Micron pens and a triangle, or ink and a nib. I'm trying to use the nib more for those kinds of things, it's a lot of fun.

My favs so far:

Pentel Twist-Erase III Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm

Zebra Disposable Brush Pen - Fine

FranklinCovey Fountain Pen (Even though I don't use it as much as I would like)

Staedler Pigment Liners (Mostly .3 mm, .5mm & .7mm)

Pigma Micron Graphic Pens (Mostly 005, 01, 02 & 08)

That's all the info you're gonna get out of me.

+ 1 on the multiliners for no smearing

But their pretty expensive and also +1 on nibs qearing off very fast. Especially the 'brush' nib, that is going down so fast, it is an insult.don't buy that
    "Censorship is legal vandalization of art" - Urban Dictionary
    |LHW Bottomfeeder|
    PJ Sketchblog
    petethacreepofficial