Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Community Project for Kelly Dale

A Community Project for Kelly Dale

Just wanted to start the thread where we decide, as a community, what we are going to do for Kelly going forward. Jeremy Dale was a mentor to hundreds of us, in one form or another, and I would really like to have what I do myself for his wife be part of a group gesture. Jeremy was one of ours, and to me it feels right that we acknowledge that in how we pay our respect.

Many of you have seen the link to the donation page for Kelly, and have given to that fund already. In addition to paying for medical and funeral costs, I imagine that Kelly will have considerable financial need in general, especially in the short term. She and Jeremy were very much partners in the endeavor of self-publishing, which means that she has lost her business as well as her husband.

I just recently participated in the Sakai benefit project, and I think that something similar would be a great way to help Kelly out while paying the tribute and respect to Jeremy that we are all feeling the need to express. My idea was to create some artwork using Jeremy's characters, and "sell" it in exchange for a donation on the page I linked above. I might also "sell" hi-res versions for prints in exchange for a choose-your-own-amount donation; just something to keep the traffic flowing to that site. If others are interested in doing something similar, please chime in and let the rest of us know. We can promote each other's contributions and make the most of our community networks. Also, like in the Sakai project, we might generate enough material to make a nice tribute book, which could also serve to raise funds for Kelly. And if anyone has any different ideas, please share them here. Thanks all,

Adam

That's a great idea Adam and I would be down for helping out. We could possibly contact Joe Peacock or Allison Sohn (both have been helping with information etc) to see if they have thought of doing this so we could combine efforts or what not. I'm just thinking out loud but regardless it's a great idea.

Wonderful idea.

Return If Possible [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    It's a great idea, and I would be honored to be a part of it.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Manji View Post
    ... so we could combine efforts or what not.
    Just spitballing but, I would think the Hero Initiative (formerly A.C.T.O.R) is the way to go.

It's a known organization that exists for no other purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Just spitballing but, I would think the Hero Initiative (formerly A.C.T.O.R) is the way to go.

Duh... thanks for reminding me of this Smitty and yes they would be the best way to go on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Manji View Post
    That's a great idea Adam and I would be down for helping out. We could possibly contact Joe Peacock or Allison Sohn (both have been helping with information etc) to see if they have thought of doing this so we could combine efforts or what not. I'm just thinking out loud but regardless it's a great idea.
    That sounds like a good idea, Manji; could you drop one of those two a line and let them know that we're discussing this?

I think the first part should be pretty simple: make a sticky thread in the Community Projects forum, explain the basic idea in the first post, and let people start posting up tributes to Jeremy and sharing how they are using the work to help keep the donations coming. I'll figure out who's modding there these days and send a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

If that would work, it sounds great. I'm not sure if Hero makes a distinction between creators and next-of-kin though; Smitty, do you want to contact H.I. and feel them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Masterman View Post
    If that would work, it sounds great. I'm not sure if Hero makes a distinction between creators and next-of-kin though; Smitty, do you want to contact H.I. and feel them out?
    Will do........

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Masterman View Post
    That sounds like a good idea, Manji; could you drop one of those two a line and let them know that we're discussing this?

I think the first part should be pretty simple: make a sticky thread in the Community Projects forum, explain the basic idea in the first post, and let people start posting up tributes to Jeremy and sharing how they are using the work to help keep the donations coming. I'll figure out who's modding there these days and send a message.
    Will do. I'm on my way home from work and I'll do it after dinner tonight and let you know when I hear something back