Thread: Question about Wacom Tablets..

Question about Wacom Tablets..

Hey guys I know Wacom tablets are a industry staple for pretty much any digital art, I bought one myself and love using it. However after researching how they work I came across some posts from people saying that they are already suffering adverse affects from the (relatively high amount of) electromagnetic radiation that the tablets utilize to detect accurate pen position. Feel free to google this yourself to find individual claims, but some of them are quite scary to read. I'm wondering if anyone here has used a wacom tablet for years now and has had any concerning side effects, I'm just wondering how concerned I should be, if at all, when deciding how often I want to use this device and how much I want to rely on it going forward. Any input or opinions at all would be appreciated, thanks.

100% fun guaranteed! [SUPPORTER] sirandal's Avatar
    Hmmmm...I find this highly suspicious. However let me just say that if you carry a mobile phone, worry about that first.
    Light Heavy W-37 L-14 KO-17
    PUMMEL stats
    deviant art
    tumblr
    PJ blog

http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/2006...-radiation.htm
    This is the website that really raised my eyebrow, there is another site where some guys actually measured the radiation coming off of these tablets and it was distressful to read, lots of people say its harmless, some say its very harmful, who to believe?
    One guy on this above linked page said he started getting subcutaneous lesions on his hand then the skin started thinning out to the point where it cuts and bleeds easily now, scary stuff.

I don't know i've never noticed a problem with mine and i've been using one since i was 18 i'm 24 now. Granted i took a year or so off from drawing but still back in college I was using one daily.

100% fun guaranteed! [SUPPORTER] sirandal's Avatar
    I would like to see studies, not anecdotes from potential hypochondriacs. Sorry but I am skeptical of everything.
    Light Heavy W-37 L-14 KO-17
    PUMMEL stats
    deviant art
    tumblr
    PJ blog

Quote Originally Posted by sirandal View Post
    Hmmmm...I find this highly suspicious. However let me just say that if you carry a mobile phone, worry about that first.
    I agree with the phone thing, I keep mine on airplane mode when I keep it on my person, unfortunately we are getting bombarded with so much 3/4g and cell radiation now turning off your own phone seems miniscule when your "surrounded" anyhow

I'm still more worried about my chain smoking habit rather than cell phones and wacom tablets. and trust me i'm not that worried about my chain smoking habit

Quote Originally Posted by sirandal View Post
    I would like to see studies, not anecdotes from potential hypochondriacs. Sorry but I am skeptical of everything.
    I agree, that's why I was hoping for some feedback from this community instead of just buying into something I read. The only reason I give credit to the possibility of these devices being harmful over time is because their have been studies, and EMR has been found to be harmful, even linked to lymphoma, it has been proven to disrupt and damage cell membranes, etc. etc. etc. People think just because companies can legally sell us something it must be safe, if that were the case I wouldn't be seeing a new class action law suit commercial for some drug every 15 minutes. I hope they are safe, I enjoy using mine, and there's not really any alternatives out there. I found some "Pen mouses" on amazon, basically just a laser mouse shaped like a pen, I might give it a try but i cant imagine that its going to be accurate enough to draw with but it might be good for brush strokes and digital painting, who knows. Thanks for your reply's guys I appreciate the feedback.