Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scripts & Scribes - insights and inspiration for writers

New Interview with Harbinger reboot writer, Joshua Dysart.

http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/201...joshua-dysart/

@Screwtape Jenkins - I got a little more info on your question. I spoke to an editor of an indie publishing company and they pay some advance royalties on books "completed" even before they are solicited and go to press. I don't know if that would be enough to pay for the production costs on your end, but apparently some publishers do pay an advance before the book is solicited. He did say however that they generally need 4-6 issues completed before they will solicit a book. Hopefully this helps. I'm looking to get more info and I'll share when I do.

The Brian Buccellato interview was very interesting. It gave me some ideas on how to get my comic out there without having to try and go through Image or Dark Horse or the other companies for creator owned books. Good Job.

Quote Originally Posted by InkedT View Post
    The Brian Buccellato interview was very interesting. It gave me some ideas on how to get my comic out there without having to try and go through Image or Dark Horse or the other companies for creator owned books. Good Job.
    Thanks for listening. If you have any questions for any of our guests, just let me know and I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KFu3000 View Post
    @Screwtape Jenkins - I got a little more info on your question. I spoke to an editor of an indie publishing company and they pay some advance royalties on books "completed" even before they are solicited and go to press. I don't know if that would be enough to pay for the production costs on your end, but apparently some publishers do pay an advance before the book is solicited. He did say however that they generally need 4-6 issues completed before they will solicit a book. Hopefully this helps. I'm looking to get more info and I'll share when I do.
    Thanks! That's good to know. Did he mention what companies offer these advances? As far as I can see, none of them put that information out there for general public consumption.

I am subscribed on itunes, btw. Good job!

Thanks for listening! And in regards to the advances, he didn't specify as he wasn't 100% sure of policies at different companies. He said that it could also be on a case-by-case basis, so there's a possibility that individual companies CAN do it for certain creators, even if it's not generally common practice to do so.

[SUPPORTER]
    Sounds great!

Anybody knows where I can get a transcribed version of this interview? For some reason I prefer transcriptions to actual podcasts...

Quote Originally Posted by InkedT View Post

Sorry, Chris. We wanted to get transcriptions, but at this point, we don't have the budget (or any budget) to pay to get episodes transcribed and to do so ourselves would be a huge time commitment -- time that we feel is better spent conducting new interviews. We have new ones for next week with writer, David Schwartz (Fathom: Blue Descent, Idolized), Aspen Comics Editor-in-Chief Vince Hernandez and Dark Horse Senior Managing Editor Scott Allie.