I've already posted this on the contest, but wanted to get it out for others. Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading.
NATURE HIRES A LAWYER
1. A forest spills out from a mountain. The forest is cut in half by a river. At the edge of the river is a town.
NARR: There is a small town at the base of a mountain called Fredricksburg.
2. The town is small. A bank, a school, a factory, a store, a courthouse and then a residential section..
NARR: A small town at the base of a river that most people knew nothing about.
3. A nymph is standing in the forest. She has a tall human frame, pale and slim. From her head, branches stem out.
NARR: In the forest, outside of the town, there lived a nymph, a creature that was the complete embodiment of the forest and its creatures. It was the soul.
4. The factory pumps toxic chemicals from three pipes in to the river.
NARR: The local factory manufactured kiddie pools. One day, they began to use a different type of plastic to make it lighter and cheaper to transport. But it also produced a toxic byproduct, which the company improperly disposed of in to the river. It chose profit over humanity.
5. The river has dead fish and birds lying on the coast line. A large tree blocks the flow of water.
NARR: The toxic chemical created a sickness through out the land. It started with the fish, which in turn the birds began to catch. After days it went in to the groundwater and seeped in to the trees, the wisest and holiest of them all.
6. The nymph is addressing the forest birds stand in front while the fish look up at her thorough the river.
NARR: The nymph preached to it’s choir about their impending doom brought by the hands of mankind. She pleaded for help and was well received.
1. The nymph is sitting in a tree trunk holding a bird with one arm and a fish with the other.
NARR: The nymph fell asleep one late summer night, along with two friends of hers. Together they created a bond with each other. Deep magic was a foot.
2. The nymph walks out of the tree trunk naked, her hands covering herself. She now has long red hair and looks frightened.
NARR: She had become a mortal woman, by all accounts. She, for the first times, felt the heat of the august sun to be uncomfortable.
3. The nymph is in jeans and a t-shirt reading in a library.
NARR: The nymph soon became accustomed to the ways of humans and spent many hours and long nights studying the law and commerce. Nature hatches a plan.
4. An armored car is driving down the road when a tree falls into the road right before the river.
5. The truck swerves in to the river.
NARR: And so there came a plan to take all of the humans money.
6. Schools of fish collect the money from the back of the truck.
NARR: The fish get the trucks and the birds get the bank.
1. A sparrow is tapping a key code with his beak.
NARR: For days the sparrow, watched the manager input the code, until finally it was time to act.
2. Dozens of birds are carrying lock boxes and stacks of cash.
NARR: And all the money was gone. The bank was small and had never needed the insurance. So the whole thing crashed.
3. The nymph smiles as she checks her enormous bank account on her personal laptop.
NARR: A few Swiss bank accounts later. The nymph soon became the richest person in all of town.
4. She’s signing a few papers, with other business people and lawyers.
NARR: Within months, the nymph used the money to buy the factory. Her first official action was to discontinue the use of the new plastic. But she continued to keep the profit margins up by lowering the salaries of the workers.
5. The workers are creating a picket line outside of the factory.
NARR: The nymph bought the unions she couldn’t crush. She made working conditions dangerous and unlivable. Many people began to leave the town, move to another if they could afford it. Others had to make do without money, or work.
6.She is standing next to a for sale sign watching a real estate agent putting a sold sign above it. Both are smiling.
NARR: As housing prices went down, the nymph began to quickly buy as many of the houses as she could. The town was crumbling around there feet. The townspeople had to do something.
1. The nymph is standing behind a table looking in front of the city council. The lawyer that is arguing against her is to her right. Stern faces all around.
NARR: A town meeting was called. The people wanted to face the accused, they wanted justice..
2. A lawyer stands in front on the floor speaking to the nymph in front of the council.
LAWYER: Ms. Gaia Manfield. How long have you owned Kreuger Plastics?
NYMPH: About 3 years.
3. The lawyer steps to her more aggressively. She shows no sign of distress.
LAWYER: Since then the wages have been cut in half, benefits revoked. Many of our townspeople have left on account of all but losing their jobs.
NYMPH: There’s been a swift economic downturn and I had to do what is right for the company.
4. The lawyer outreaches his hands dramatically to the council.
LAWYER: Ms. Gaia Manfield now owns over 37 homes in Fredicksburg. She owns the largest employer in town and has recently taken over the new bank. She is slowly exterminating our town.
NYMPH: I am simply an entrepreneur trying to prosper as much as the law allows me to.
5. He points his long bony fingers at her. She remains calm and cold..
LAWYER: But you are destroying our homes.
NYMPH: … as you have mine.
6. A large string of houses all have the same ‘for sale’ signs up, most have a sold sign above it. The lights are off. No cars, or people.
NYMPH: And that was all they could do. The town died, everyone left. No more jobs, real estate, or banks to lend credit.
1. The scene from the town is even more meager. The windows of the businesses are broke out. The walls begin to crack. Grass is coming through the street.
NARR: Within months, even the structures of the most sound buildings began to crumble. The grass, bee hives, and birds nests began to grow in every corner of the buildings.
2.The rivers water level has risen significantly. There are a few fish jumping and breaking the surface of the fast water.
NARR: Soon the river was again bursting with life. The ecosystem began to recover…
3. There are two houses sitting next to each other. One is covered in vines, the other has a tree punching out of the roof.
NARR: …and at an exuberant rate.
4.The nymph is standing on a cliff at the edge of the forest. She is in her original form with the branches coming out of her head. Birds, raccoons and other woodland creatures sit in front of her.
NYMPH: We’ve done it. We’ve taken back our town. This land is ours for now and ever. We’ve finally achieved everything we wanted.
5. She holds her finger in the air.
NYMPH: Today we face a choice. We can keep this land and stay here. We can grow here, silently and inconspicuously. The rest of the people will never know about us and our small piece of land. Or we can move…
6. The nymph points her finger away from the cliff in to a not so far off metropolis. Sky scrapers, football stadiums and nuclear reactors can be seen in the outline.
NYMPH:…to the city.