Thread: Manga Studio pencil/pen/brush settings

Manga Studio pencil/pen/brush settings

Hello all,

I have recently purchased Manga Studio 4.0 EX and have been trying to find the best tool to mimic a real pencil, can anyone shed some light on this for me?

i have tried playing around with customizing but still cannot achieve what i am looking for. I noticed Fred who does Megatokyo got a pretty good natural looking pencil stroke but he uses Photoshop i believe, is Manga studio capable of achieving this?

any help would be great.

I just threw this together:

That blob in the upper left is the stroke I captured for the custom brush. Then I set size and opacity to pen pressure, set interval really low (like 3&#37, and set rotation to random. You'd have to use it on a grayscale layer.

Really, Manga Studio probably isn't the best program for trying to simulate a pencil. It's much more geared toward "inking".
    Last edited by Orphangrinder; 04-17-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphangrinder View Post
    I just threw this together:

That blob in the upper left is the stroke I captured for the custom brush. Then I set size and opacity to pen pressure, set interval really low (like 3%), and set rotation to random. You'd have to use it on a grayscale layer.

Really, Manga Studio probably isn't the best program for trying to simulate a pencil. It's much more geared toward "inking".
    wow thanks! looks pretty interesting...yea i think you are right about it being geared more towards inking... i am doing my best to come up with a good look for my manga so that it looks more natural...if i have to keep things with a finished pen look i fear i will have to rely on tones a bit much.

I will try things out like you did there and see what comes out of it. thanks for responding.

Here's a slightly modified (better, I think) custom brush -- you can probably "install" it by putting it in your MangaStudio4 Settings/BrushPattern/Favorites folder, and renaming it to whatever is appropriate. I'm not entirely sure, though.

thanks!

Thanks so much for your help, i was able to get what i was looking for more or less and its all thanks to you!

Awesome! Glad to hear it all worked out. I have to admit, I'd never actually tried to get a "real pencil" look until I read your post, so I'm pretty stoked that it actually worked out.

Testing... for Science. [SUPPORTER]
    [Moderator]
    If your intended final look is that of ink (and I don't know that it is, I just know that's what Manga Studio does well), then how necessary is it that the "pencil sketch" stage of the composition look like actual "pencil"?

I bring it up only 'cause I don't try to make my roughs look like pencil, I just use the same pen I use for finishes to make the sketches. The results look a bit like ballpoint pen, but it's not really important 'cause I can erase it just as easily as anything else. What's mostly important is establishing a rough that's clearly defined enough to allow me to put down clean lines.
    ONLINE PORTFOLIO
    DevArt

"If something's getting made, then someone's getting paid."