PDA

View Full Version : Inking question...

Shindig
09-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey, inking question :D. Ok, for anyone who's inked with a pen: is there an efficent way to practice? Whenever I try, the lines look all wobbly and just not right.. any ideas?

Phil Clark
09-14-2003, 08:15 PM
My guess is you are moving the pen too slow. The slower you go, the more likely you are to get that wobble. Show a bit more confidence and just draw the line, and you may find that the wobble disappears.

markenglert
09-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Try DRAWING with the pen.... rather then inking, Just get used to using it.

TheFightingFoetus
09-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Inking is 90 percent confidence.

Grab some sheets of board, and just go nuts on them with the pen, until such time as you're confident you can go on to inking other stuff.

Good luck.

eonprez
09-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Sounds like you're new to inking. Don't be discouraged if you get a poor quality nib. It happens to lots of guys. Best thing to do is trash it a start with a new one.

Before I go to a page I'll throw down a couple of lines, maybe some cross hatching and feathering (my weakest skill). Just to loosen up my hand and work all the rust out of my wrist.

m0-nertia
09-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Or if you don't have the big confident strokes you can do like I do: use a technical pen and fake it.

Super Sleuth
09-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Hi

Don't know if this will help. I had this same problem and tackled my tutor about it...he suggested a longer warm-up period and said it could also be the type of ink pen I was using was not suitable for my grip or technique. Was using Rotring rapidograph pens (metal nibs) swapped to Artline types which have give a bit on application.

Cheers