PDA

View Full Version : please post here

frontjibi
09-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Anybody tell me what kind of brush do u guys use for inking And also i can't make a straight line with the french curves and a ruler. The ink smear on the paper. Any comments?

Spidey
09-11-2003, 04:54 PM
GG tip& tech

penciljack
09-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Just FYI - you'll get more responses if you title your thread something like "Brush/ruler question" instead of "please post here." Also, you'll get more advice about this topic if you post in the correct forum for these sorts of questions, which is the Tips & Tech forum (don't worry, I've already moved the thread there for you).

As to your questions - you're probably going to get tons of different opinions about which brush to use from all kinds of folks. I don't use brushes anymore, so I won't comment on a brand or a size. But I think the key is to experiment until you find one you like and stick with it for a while.

As for the smearing under rules and french curves ... some people tape pennies or strips of cork on the bottom edges of the rulers and curves to lift them off the page slightly. This will prevent a good deal of the ink smearing. Cork is relatively cheap (and pennies are cheaper), so give it a try and see how it works for you.

frontjibi
09-11-2003, 07:36 PM
sorry about that and i'll do try putting penny or strips of cork under the rulers and curves. Thanks for the advice!

xadrian
09-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Pens with french curves and rulers, brushes and brush pens with free hand.

Meth will kill me now.

Dash Martin
09-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by xadrian
Pens with french curves and rulers, brushes and brush pens with free hand.

Meth will kill me now.

I'LL KEEL YOU!!! for taking the words right out of my mouth. hehe. If there's something I have to use a french curve on or a straightedge, I whip out the Rapidograghs and ink with those. Usually the smallest tip. I then draw two lines that meet at one end and are seperate on the other with said frenchcurves and fill in the gap with a brush. Same can be done with straight lines and a ruler. I find this works a lot better than using a brush with a frenchcurve...and with practice you'll find doing it freehand is even EASIER. :D

SenorSwanky
09-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Just a guideline on brushes: never buy synthetics, only Kolinsky Red Sables, which is the finest natural hair, but also the most expensive. Generally, the more expensive the brush is and the harder it is to find, the better quality it is. The best ones are handmade by experts who have apprenticed under master brushmakers. Most pros choose from the following brands/series:
Winsor & Newton Series 7
Raphael Series 8404 or 8408
Scharff Series 3000

Bruce Lee
09-12-2003, 07:43 AM
I use 8404 series Raphael Kolinsky sable brushes-- a #3 and a #2. The #3 is better because it hold more ink than the number #2. Both are capable of producing a range of line variety. The prices of these brushes vary from store to store. As cheap as $8 to around $23. If properly cared for, a brush can last you many years.

I also tape pennys to the bottom of my rulers and curves if they aren't bevelled. This helps keep the ink from smearing when you pull your ruler away from the inked line. If you're not into taping pennies, simply look for bevelled edged rulers and french curves. They are available, and your problem will be solved. I will note that I've actually seen some artists tilt their rulers by hand and ink the line, but such a thing takes a lot of skill. Bevelled edges are better.:)

Loston