PDA

View Full Version : acrilic washes

s.s.nails
09-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Aight, I was wondering if any of you know anything about how to do them, sites about it, what you need, stuff like that I'd like to use it for giving a bit of contrast to my sketches. Any help is much appreciated!

Inkthinker
09-05-2003, 08:11 PM
About all I know is that they dry real fast, and that it's spelled "acrylic"

:D

s.s.nails
09-06-2003, 08:28 AM
well that definately is something. Now I can properly ask questions with out people wondering what acrilic is XD. thanks anyhow. Does it really matter what kinda paper you use? Such as acrylic paper, or can i just use my trusty printer paper?

SenorSwanky
09-06-2003, 11:01 AM
You should use it on heavier paper, like bristol. Printer paper will warp.

Bruce Lee
09-16-2003, 10:34 AM
When doing any sort of wet medium (like watercolors, dyes or ink or paint washes) it's a good idea to use a strong ply paper. 3 ply bristol, illustration board, etc. It's also a wise idea to tape down the edges of the paper to cut down on paper buckling. Use that white, acid free Artist's Tape, which is perfect for such jobs.

Acrylic paint can be diluted to the point of producing washes that resemble watercolors. As a matter of fact, when I paint with acrylics, I start off with color washes and slowly build up the color opacity as I paint. I paint the darkest areas as a thin color wash, and slowly build the painting upward in layers, using more opaque colors as I go. By the time I've gotten to the lighter areas or color (like skintone highlights, etc), the paint is pretty much opaque.

Loston

s.s.nails
09-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Ok, thanks. I was thinking more of like this guys stuff PSG 6 (http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/info_news.php)

Any tips on what type of acrylic paints i should use and brushes and such. Never done this before. thanks again ,

vctrstigma9
09-17-2003, 10:37 PM
if u're talking about promethueas you should just send him a PM I did and he was kind enough to respond to me quickly He hangs at protodepot.com everyone now and then ;pencil;

Devil Man 666
09-20-2003, 01:08 AM
Here are some:

Createx: made specifically for airbrush but I use them for that and regular painting. They were supposed to be releasing Illustration Colors, not sure if they have yet or not. They also have Multi Surface Acrylics. Check their website.

Medea Com Art Colors

Dick Blick Acrylics and/or Blickcrylics

Golden Historic artist acrylics

Windsor and Newton Finity Acrylics

Lascau Artist Acrylics

Other companies:

Liquitex

Pebeo

Reeves

Grumbacher

Check the Dick Blick website. They should help you in deciding.
Have fun!

;pencil;

s.s.nails
09-21-2003, 12:35 PM
vctrstigma9: yeah I emailed him with some questions and he replied with plenty of answers.
Devil Man 666: Thanks for all the different brands, I went to the Dick Blick site and that was very helpfull.
Thanks for repling to my question, the help is very much appreciated!