PDA

View Full Version : help selecting a new printer

m0-nertia
09-05-2003, 03:59 PM
I am in the market for a new printer with a budget of $300. Please help me with some advice on what kind of printer to buy and where to buy it.

xadrian
09-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Do you care what kind of quality? Photo quality? Do you need it to print large paper sizes? Different kinds of paper? Inkjet? Laserjet? What do you plan on using it for the most?

m0-nertia
09-05-2003, 04:15 PM
I'm definately looking for versatility in this printer. I want something that I can use to print onto larger paper, maybe art boards even, but also with the ability to print documents well and maybe even digital photos. As for quality, I want the best I can afford. I know this may be asking a lot with limited funds, but I don't know anything about printers and need suggestions. What works for you guys, and why?

Dash Martin
09-05-2003, 04:32 PM
http://www.lacc.com/lacc/db/laccdb.fm$retriev?Field=ItemNo&value=1287760&html=pdnt.html&layout=Detail

HP Deskjet 1220cxi refurb. $199 bucks. Does regular documents as well as photoquality stuff and takes comic boards like a champ.

xadrian
09-05-2003, 04:39 PM
I think printing onto 11x17 is going to require that you get an industrial size printer. Just go to ebay and do a search for 11x17 printer and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can apparently get a few for under $300.

Otherwise you're left with the photo quality which most printers do. I'm using a Canon S630 (http://www.pc4d.com/hardware/33/s630_color_printer.shtml) and have had very few problems with it. For inking I end up having to print out two 8.5x11 and lightbox them onto a board, but the photo quality is really nice. My wife does photography and so was very picky about printers. We went through Lexmark and HP first before stopping on the Canon.

My only gripe with it is, if it's off when you start printing, then you turn it on, it takes a few minutes to "warm up" and that's annoying. But the quality is so good, we use it to print photos to frame and hang in our house.

Best of luck.