PDA

View Full Version : nose's dammit

Logan Fray
09-02-2003, 06:33 PM
I can never get them to look....great, they look good but never great!:mad: :(

xadrian
09-03-2003, 09:38 AM
It's kind of a cheat, but get some vellum or trace paper and some magazines (fashion mags are the best, but Vanity Fair or People should do) and take a sharpie and go over the structure of the face, including the nose. (This is a tip someone gave me.) Do that repeatedly, don't actually trace it, but draw the structure lines for it, then go back and draw the details over them.

Things you have to remember is the nose is 4 masses, the bridge, the bulb and the nostril flares. It's not just a triangle or a wedge, it's got different parts.

Once you're good with the structure of it, start pushing the envelope and do different kinds of noses. Lets say you do 10 practice pages of nothing but nose structure, then 10 pages of different kinds of noses. Button, hook, broken, bulbous, african, nordic, latin, asian, children, make sure to get women and men in the mix too.

Basically that's three paragraphs to say, just practice some more, yeah?

Logan Fray
09-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks xadrian .

Logan Fray
09-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Ok itryed what you said but i mean noses froma distance, like smal noses this size of:

__

---

Inkthinker
09-03-2003, 05:07 PM
If the character is far enough away, I personally just add a very small vertical line curving away from the brow to represent the nose. Or on characters with petite features, like cute girls, I just leave it off entirely if the character's head is smaller than, say, a dime.

martin_topsecret
09-04-2003, 09:13 AM
drawing with tracing paper over magazines will teach you something too. Drawings of females are a distillation of what we consider "attractive".

a photo is in color and the balance helps out alot with under emphasizing things...a picture of a sexy woman who also happens to have a nose is still a picture of a sexy woman.

...ink drawings are a different story. I bet that if you trace a photo and draw more than the nostrils and a bit of form to indicate the tip of the nose you are going to say...."this girl looked hot to me a minute ago, what happened."

drawings are not photos, as much as we see a picture for the first time, we look at it with preconceived notions....what is attractive?

also try an experiment draw a face with boxy forms, the guy will look alright, but a female will be a bit more different, unless you are a freak for the greek/roman/elektra kind of nose...

jmho