PDA

View Full Version : Folds and clothing

Reilly
09-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any good tips or knows of any good books for learning how to draw folds properly. It seems to me that sometimes I get it, but sometimes I'm way off, and I can't figure out what I'm doing right or wrong.
Thanks.

--Reilly

Baloodoo Bill
09-02-2003, 06:57 PM
"Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life". It has a whole chapter devoted to draping the figure.

Along with the work of Andrew Loomis, it's an indespensible book that belongs in every illustrator's library. And, unlike Loomis, can still be found at the bookstore.

xadrian
09-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Go to a restaurant with a sketch pad and draw people wearing clothes. Books are great, but seeing it real time is also very helpful.

Tommy
09-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Hogarth also has a book on Dynamic Folds & Drapery or something. It's good to learn from a book too, to understand why and how fabric moves on the body or otherwise.

Bruce Lee
09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
There's some good wrinkles and drapery bits in Jack Hamm's DRAWING THE HEAD & FIGURE book too. Best way to learn is to do as Xadrian said, and draw from life. Another thing you can do is tape your favorite show and pause your vcr, and draw the wrinkles, paying close attention to how wrinkles work on shirtsleeves, pants, etc. Also notice how various fabrics and materials wrinkle and bunch differently--a suit jacket compared to a sweater, and so forth.

Loston
http://www.lostonwallace.com

Reilly
09-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'll definatly look for those books. I think books will help me the most right now because I draw from life and magazines and stuff offten, and I can draw what I see, but there's still a certain "anatomy" to folds and wrinkles that I'm not getting and I need to have pointed out to me.
Thanks a lot.

--Reilly